Tesco "Sat4free"

To get the clearity of HD, you need to avoid converting anything to anything else. So, the ideal is to take a 1920x1080 picture and display it on a 1920x1080 display.

If the set has 1920x1080 pixels then you'll get full HD. Otherwise, the set downscales the picture to fit the available pixels. This can cause distortions. It's not HD.

Can't agree with that Technologist. I have a HD Ready set, incorporating 1366 x 768 lines of resolution. Yes when I watch HD DVD or Blu Ray films on it, it downgrades the 1080p signal to fit the resolution, but this does not mean it's not HD. It is still HD. The evidence is there to see clearly while watching. Amazing detail and colour. Way better than SD.

You will not get RTE1,RTE2,TV3,TG4 on this and the earliest for RTE International is now anybody's guess due to the credit crunch. If you go for HD then you should get a PVR as well.

Hi Masons,

Welcome to AAM.

Can you confirm if you have any association with the above company as recommendations from 1st time posters make make AAM users wary.

Thanks,

Sue Ellen.

Have been away. To answer your question. No connection with the company at all.

Meet him one afternoon. Spoke to him about the installation, agree the price and he called on time. No problem at all. A few days later poor signal and he call checked everything inside the house and the aerial system. Fixed all. He even fix my VHF aerials.

So on the whole, very pleased.

Masons

[broken link removed] sell the standard freesat unit for e80.00 if anyone is interested, you can pick a dish up for about e30 - e40 easly enough

I know the owner of sat soultions professionally and he really does know his stuff.

Have been away. To answer your question. No connection with the company at all.

Meet him one afternoon. Spoke to him about the installation, agree the price and he called on time. No problem at all. A few days later poor signal and he call checked everything inside the house and the aerial system. Fixed all. He even fix my VHF aerials.

So on the whole, very pleased.

Masons

Eh really stupid question coming - if you get a sat4free box, presumably you still need a satelite dish?? Sorry I know it's basic, but the websites are a little unclear

Whereas when you look at FTA, they always seem to come complete with box and dish...

[broken link removed]

Eh really stupid question coming - if you get a sat4free box, presumably you still need a satelite dish?? Sorry I know it's basic, but the websites are a little unclear

Whereas when you look at FTA, they always seem to come complete with box and dish...

[broken link removed]

Yes Wishbone you do need a dish.

Can anyone still using Sat4free tell me how good this service is or recommend any decent alternatives? There's very little onfo on the Power City website. Any opinions on this? [broken link removed] Dish and receiver for €80.95 thanks..

Can anyone still using Sat4free tell me how good this service is or recommend any decent alternatives? There's very little onfo on the Power City website. Any opinions on this? [broken link removed] Dish and receiver for €80.95 thanks..

Basically what your getting is "FreeSat".

Just google "Freesat" and you will see myriad sites which should give you all the info you need.

Basically what your getting is "FreeSat".

Just google "Freesat" and you will see myriad sites which should give you all the info you need.

Thanks, I had a look and spotted freesat.ie, sat4free.ie and saortv.com.

So much information, I don't know where to start. :eek:

I know this is an old thread but could someone advise if it is a waste of time getting a SD receiver now. I just have a SD tv set and don't have an interest in watching HD. In a couple of years will everything be broadcast in HD making my SD box obsolete or can an SD box receive a HD signal and change it so that it can be viewed in SD?

In a couple of years will everything be broadcast in HD making my SD box obsolete
Ultimately, I guess so - not sure how long this process will take though..
...or can an SD box receive a HD signal and change it so that it can be viewed in SD?
Afraid not. Having said that, HD boxes are quite expensive still. And I tend to agree on the whole HD thing. It seems to be a bit underwhelming and doesn't live up to the hype (although I accept opinions differ on this).

Back