Tesco - Notepad 900 euros

If you are going to be storing photos, music etc. on the laptop, I would go for more than 40GB if possible. I have 30 (or is is 40??) on my machine, and I find it quite 'cramped'.

As I said, a Celeron has served me fine, and unless you feel you need the wireless option, a Centrino is probably a 'luxury'.

I wouldn't get overly stressed about this decision-the specs on a mid- range Dell, or the Tesco laptop should do fine for most users.

2Pack said:
40Gb fine, celeron fine. If you needed more you would be able to tell us WHY :D . As you did not you do not. Future proofing is irrelevant at that price.

Thanks a million 2pack. *nods head*. Re above quote, yikes you have me sussed:p . I hope nobody is following me *looks around* 'cause I'm lost. No seriously though, you've been very helpful. Now it's back to the Dell site for me.

Thanks again

Justsally

Hi again Ccovich,

I can store photos on my desktop, I don't expect to be storing much. But I definitely want the wireless option - I want to use the notebook downstairs and leave the desktop in it's home upstairs. :)

Justsally

Hello,

I have decided on which notebook I've saved myself a lot of money through your help and advice. Once again, thanks a mil - much appreciated.:)

Now I need to buy a wireless route - would this be suitable [broken link removed]

Thanks again.

Justsally

Can I just say kudos to all the experts who posted advice on here.

I'll be buying a laptop sometime this summer and the advice in this thread is exactly what I need, given my staggering levels of techno-illiteracy. Thank you all :D .

This might even merit a sticky?

justsally said:
Now I need to buy a wireless route - would this be suitable [broken link removed]

No you dont, 2 wireless gizmos will talk mano a mano in "Ad Hoc Mode" and you only need a router if you have 3 of them .

If "Ad Hoc Mode" gives you nightmares then bring a techie you know and trust home for dinner some night !

If you cannot face a hungry tech in the house the router is simpler ....albeit unnecessary.

2pack Hi

Wow, I don't need one...........Yikes - where would I be without you :D .

*pins star on your forehead*..............thanks again.

Sherman, I agree with you.

Justsally

Sorry , does the PC have wireless built in, If not you will need that Linksys and plug it in near both PC and BB connection where the downstairs laptop connects wirelessly to it but its wired to phoneline and wired to pc

Sorry for wasting your time there.

Hi 2pack

First of all you didn't waste my time......you are being very helpful.

When I was onto Dell the salesman said that if my router hadn't got antennas I should get back on to Smart - my broadband supplier - and get them to change it for one with antennas.:( I'll check out Smart and see what the story is there.

Cheers for now

Justsally

oh not, not again

Yup me again :eek:

the spec on the notebook I've ordered says "Dell Wireless 1370 802.11b/g Mini PCI card.!!!!!

The Smart Telecom site - "Optional wireless modem for €140 (incl. VAT)"

Do I need the wireless modem? 'cause if I do the Linksy is cheaper!!!!

Justsally

Smart may support the linksys, they have a BB support forum where you could ask.

They have particular requirements being ADSL2 where eircom and the others are ADSL (no 2) but someone may have found a linksys and configured it and posted in the forum .

Rather than potentially misadvise you in this case you should go to

[broken link removed]

and ask the peergroup.

You must already have wired BB connected, so you need a device to marry your new wireless networking device to the existing network. For this you need a WAP (wireless access point), as you are already up and running.

see this article for info. on setting up just what you need.

WAP devices

available on [broken link removed] for around €45.00

[broken link removed]also good choice, and cheaper

Hello again,

When I was talking to the Smart technical assistant he said that the Linksys would do the job. He said many people had bought that and had just connected it to their router. He did say, that as they don't deal with Linksys if I have any problem relating to the Linksys gadget I should contact the suppliers, find out what settings need to be changed and then get back on to him and he will then sort it for/with me. We shall see :D.

IrishPancake, I've looked at both your referral sites - thanks - I see that Wireless routers contain Wireless access points (I didn't know that). I'd be scared to buy on E Bay in case I need technical support. I note that the Linksys Router is a little less expensive that the the Wap.

Thanks again for all the help.

Justsally

NB

his linksys plugs into the smart yoke which plugs into BB
your linksys plugs into BB instead of the smart yoke !!!

*scratching my head*

It does? :eek: , his does? so what should I do?????.

Btw I've just checked out the Smart forums - do you think they'll survive me, when I start with my questions.:D

Justsally

I think the difference here is between combined 802.11 wireless and ADSL (or ADSL2 in this case) boxes and individual boxes for each. Some people use a single box, others use separate boxes. For example I have my own D-Link DI-524 802.11g access point and plug this into the UTV Clicksilver Creative Blaster ADSL router that they provide. If I had somehting like the combined Linksys 802.11 AP/ADSL router above then I could make do with one rather than two devices. Hope that makes sense.

If you plan on asking technical questions then it makes sense to do a bit of independent research/reading first so that you can ask the right questions and help others to help you.

Sherman said:
Can I just say kudos to all the experts who posted advice on here.

have to agree, interesting & helpful stuff indeed.

looking at getting a laptop myself in the next couple of weeks.

il be using it mostly for storing photos and music and eventually wireless broadband.

as with everything i go to buy, im instantly attracted to the more expensive/advanced models.

is there any noticeable performance difference between InspironTM 1300 as opposed to higher grade InspironTM 6400 considering what i would be using it for or am i wasting money as usual?

also has anyone ever bought from refurb part of site? Are they good value?

Any advice/help appreciated.

2Pack said:
Do not buy memory or usb keys off dell, they rob you try www.shop4memory.ie for both.

HI 2pac, great advice on this post by the way.

Have you any suggestions for where to buy an external hard drive? looking to back up 2 systems so would probably want about 200GB (biggest on shop4memory was 60gb).

Also id like something simple, bought a Freecom one for parents house and find it quite annoying to use.
Would prefer something that is simple to use (i.e. acts just as an removeable storage device)

cheers

I have removed some posts on this thread in case anyone is wondering where they went.

Let's just stick to the issues raised in the posts that remain.

Thanks.

Back