Tesco Mobile: No data when travelling in Europe and not on WI-FI

Passport1

Hi
Anyone else with Tesco Mobile SIM only Plan and experienced problems when travelling in Europe and not able to access internet/data/google maps etc when not on Wi Fi
Were you able to get it sorted
I was in Europe recently and had no data connectivity when not on wif-fi
Rang Tesco Mobile support and all the things they suggested didnt work
I have a Samsung Galaxy S10e running on Android and Android version is up to date
Anyone else experience this and how were you able to resolve it
Am due to go away again in few weeks time and am expecting will have same issue again and Tesco Mobile suggestions for fixing it arent working
Thanks

It's even worse if you're a frequent traveller to Northern Ireland. There is no apparent solution, except to get rid of Tesco Mobile.
Im with Tesco mobile a few years, no issue but the deal isn't as good as it was.

We are with tesco mobile on sim only plan.
WE have to go into settings, sim applications and change to international travel. Once we do that there is no issues. Using iphones.

Yes, tescomobile wouldn't work for me in Northern Ireland last year. I assumed it was a Brexit thing. As the UK (Inc. Northern Ireland) is no longer in the EU.

It wouldn't work in Switzerland in 2019 either. I again assume it is an EU thing.

I had a Three phone with me too in the North and Switzerland and I had service on this phone.

2 years of frustrating dealings with Tesco Mobile where I had no Data Roaming outside Ireland have resulted in me ditching Tesco for GoMo. They kept insisting that Europe had changed from minimum 3g to 4g and that in Ireland we really only have 3 1/2 G.

I had similar problems with 48, when travelling in the EU, it worked sometimes, other times not. Lots of messing around with settings with 48support.

Gomo has worked without any issues at all, since i moved to them about 3 years ago.

Last edited:
I had trouble with this last year. The techy family members I was staying with in Germany couldn't solve it for me but after a lot of googling I solved it eventually. Can't remember the details but I agree with the last poster that it had to do something to do with changing the APN.

We are with tesco mobile on sim only plan.
WE have to go into settings, sim applications and change to international travel. Once we do that there is no issues. Using iphones.
They literally told a family member of mine that there was nothing they could do.

Most or all of the MVNO virtual operators are hit and miss when it comes to roaming. It's very difficult to predict what, if any, problems a particular user may experience and what, if anything, can be done to rectify matters. And, because they're cheap, customer/technical support may not be great. (I've seen some absolutely mad advice coming from support in my time). If you simply cannot do without connectivity abroad, and the idea of troubleshooting or even getting a local SIM for temporary use while abroad doesn't appeal to you, then it might be better to stick with one of the non-virtual operators - Eir, Vodafone and Three.

Gomo is i understand, a virtual operator, I was on €9.99 p.m. with 48 at the time i switched to Gomo for the same price, slightly better coverage, unlimited data, calls & texts, and zero issues with data or anything, when i travel in the EU. I’ve never had any issues at all with Gomo, but i did with 48.

The last thing i want to be doing, when on holidays, is messing around with changing APN, settings etc.

Had the same issue in France. On to Tesco mobile web chat. Were pretty only checking the basics and could not resolve . Said when I go home to do some Sim swaps as my SIM might not be set up for roaming. Anyway thanks to this thread got pointed in right ways it was apn issue. For some reason my apn changed to weird one from the normal one so recreated the Tesco mobile apn and now working with out issues. Might help someone.

Settings -> WiFi & Internet -> SIM & Network -> SIM -> Access Point Names -> APN -> create and set to “tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com”

the one that just appeared was something like internet.proximus.be which might have been pushed by roaming network orange and stopped Tesco from working.

Had the same issue in France. On to Tesco mobile web chat. Were pretty only checking the basics and could not resolve . Said when I go home to do some Sim swaps as my SIM might not be set up for roaming. Anyway thanks to this thread got pointed in right ways it was apn issue. For some reason my apn changed to weird one from the normal one so recreated the Tesco mobile apn and now working with out issues. Might help someone.

Settings -> WiFi & Internet -> SIM & Network -> SIM -> Access Point Names -> APN -> create and set to “tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com”

the one that just appeared was something like internet.proximus.be which might have been pushed by roaming network orange and stopped Tesco from working.
That may work. Or it may not. Unfortunately the issues with roaming on virtual operators are many and varied and a fix that works for one person may not work for another. Or you may just get lucky and find that everything works fine. In some cases people who return home from abroad then find that they then have no service back in Ireland without further messing. It's almost funny but it's extremely frustrating for those affected. And it's shocking that the virtual operators get away with such inadequate service.

That may work. Or it may not. Unfortunately the issues with roaming on virtual operators are many and varied and a fix that works for one person may not work for another. Or you may just get lucky and find that everything works fine. In some cases people who return home from abroad then find that they then have no service back in Ireland without further messing. It's almost funny but it's extremely frustrating for those affected. And it's shocking that the virtual operators get away with such inadequate service.
In my case it looks like a french network pushed an new apn to my device. When I whould returned from France whould have still had the issue. Me Manuel change to Tesco mobile APN it fixes the issue and should not have issue when I return next week. Will double check when I land. So because with with small provider with couple 10's thounds of customers maybe other networks in EU . Don't recognise it and push the auto config to the device. But will check the offers when I return to see if a better deal out their.

Why would a French network push a Belgian provider's APN to your phone?
Been honest don't know but when I googled them they provide wholesale services only. Don't see Tesco mobile their as customer but I do see orange . Who is I used the most in french. Aldo Tesco support asked me select SFR or FREE but their were the same could not connect. Anyways working now for me with Tesco mobile apn inputted which it should have always have been in first place .

Back