Tesco fined €600: charging more at the tills than the price displayed on shelf.

I was charged for something once at my local tesco, a jar of spices I think, it should have been 2.99, the till charged 29.99 - It wasnt realised until we got home, but went back and was refunded the full amount, so in effect got the item for free. The lady that did the refund didnt bat an eye lid - I would say its a common occurance - I wonder how many people missed this one though!

I was charged for something once at my local tesco, a jar of spices I think, it should have been 2.99, the till charged 29.99 - It wasnt realised until we got home, but went back and was refunded the full amount, so in effect got the item for free. The lady that did the refund didnt bat an eye lid - I would say its a common occurance - I wonder how many people missed this one though!

How long ago was that.....

Tesco stopped giving the item for free earlier this year and now only say they will give you double the difference of the amt overcharged.

How long ago was that.....

Tesco stopped giving the item for free earlier this year and now only say they will give you double the difference of the amt overcharged.

Well you can see why they would have re-instated the "item for free" in that particular case!:D

Im not inclined to queue at a very slow service desk (often unmanned) for the sake of a paltry 20c or so!

Im would be much more inclined to spend the same time gathering photographic evidence (reciept and the display price) and reporting them to the consumers authority.

How does one go about making such a report? Does one have to go through the supermarket service desk rig marole first or can you just report them.

Watch out for the items priced in Sterling.
I recently picked up a 2 packs of a couple of slices of ham @ 2Euro each, or 2 packs for 3 pounds sterling. Not having checked clearly, and when scanned at the checkout they came to 4.16 Euro.

As they were marked in Sterling I offered to pay in sterling. Needless to say some not so pleasant words were exchanged about mis-leading customers etc.

Is this still the case with items being overcharged? Tescos are brutal for that and I normally try and keep an eye as things go through, but if they go through, am I entitled to double the difference? Few weeks back a playdough box came in around 20 euro in the self service checkout but I had only checked and it was 8. The manager wasn't very pleasant (as if I had purposely given her the extra work). I would doubt very much they would give me back 12 *2 so 24 euro at the customer service desk to be honest. Is there a written policy somewhere on this so that if it did happen again I could query it ? I lived in the US for a good while and if you were overcharged most stores would give you the refund and the item for free no problem, but have never heard of that here.

Question raised again today.

Can consumers report Tescos directly and avoid this "double the difference" charade completely?

I have found, particularly recently, a significant increase in wrongly priced items in Tesco, sometimes it seems to me to be a deliberate stacking of items in an area where they will be mistaken for being included in a special offer - "oh that flavour isn't included in the special offer - well why then are there a dozen items placed directly over the special offer price?" and then if you have the misfortune to be using the shop very late it will take forever for the "right" person to rectify the issue.

My shopping has been in Tesco Ballybrack.

On my first ever shop in Tesco Maynooth I was charged £80 but had noticed several items going though at wrong prices. At the time they would give you the item for free if the price was wrong. I went to customer services with the receipt, walked around the store with the rep ticking off wrongly priced items and ended up getting £52 back!

Tesco double-difference on discounts not recieved

A big thank you to Tesco in Wilton. Scallops were marked 3 for 2 (5 euro a bag) on Sunday. I bought 6 bags but was charged 30 euro instead of 20. When I went to Customer Services they were very polite and refunded me double the difference immediately...20 euro...so I ended up getting 6 bags of scallops for a tenner! The first bag tasted pretty good too :D

I have found, particularly recently, a significant increase in wrongly priced items in Tesco, ...

Not very surprising really. Who is going to bother reporting when they are overcharged by 5, 10 or 20 cents. Life is too short and the queue is too long. You would feel like a right misery guts queueing up to tell them that you were overcharged by such a trivial amounts and taking back your reward 10, 20 or 40 cents.

In my opinion, the people who were bringing stuff back and getting it for free when they were overcharged, were actually doing Tesco a favour. They were acting as a sort of external unofficial quality control on pricing.

From reading the above posts, a lot of people are complaining about being slightly overcharged and feeling annoyed about it, but not enough to waste their own time and wait in a queue, to point out the mistake to Tesco.

In the long term, I reckon Tesco are shooting themselves in the foot.

I suppose a short term way of looking at is "Every Little Helps". Every time they overcharge, that amount goes straight to their bottom line. The problem is it is putting people off shopping there in the first place

After being charged 60cent over for sauces I stood for nearly 15 minutes in the line and then 5 minutes waiting for the manager, to be refunded 1.20. certainly Im going to dunnes first next week to try for my big shop as this was really annoying. Manager wasn't exactly pleasant either to the staff member as he explained the double the difference system to her.

On an aside I have always purchased the six tesco cans of fizzy orange for €1.89. few weeks back selling them for €1.08 and I bought a good few. Then they disappeared for a few weeks and last week reappeared as NEW four cans for €1.89 (last friday price was €1.29). same with cloudy lemonade.

Also (rant) seen 3L milk cartons tesco two days out of date, told the staff member nearby, 3/4 hour later none of them removed and told the manager at the time of overcharging, not interested either....

Their €12 meal deals are priced wrongly more often than not, and you get charged for each item rather than the deal. Queue up at the service desk, when its your turn wait for someone on the floor to go to meal deal section to check if items are included, come back to customer service desk, go through paperwork, people queuing impatiently behind you.

It was worth the hassle if they gave you the item free, now I can never be bothered with that deal.

report Tescos directly and avoid this "double the difference" charade completely?

Can consumers report Tescos directly and avoid this "double the difference" charade completely?

Submit a Consumer Complaint about a trader to the NCA.

Submit a Consumer Complaint

Use this form to make a consumer complaint about a trader to the NCA. Please give us as much information as you can as this will help us to follow up on your complaint.
(Items marked * must be completed.)
If you have a general query or would like to give us feedback, please use the feedback form instead.

Your Details When investigating a complaint we will never give your name to a trader unless we get permission from you.
Name*: Must be completed
You must fill in at least one of these three fields:
Address:
Telephone:
Email: Must be a valid email
Your Complaint Name of Trader*: Must be completed
You must fill in at least one of these three fields:
Address of Trader:
Phone No. of Trader:
Website of Trader:
Nature of Sale: Trader's Premises Telephone Internet Mail Order Auction (at premises) Auction (internet) Auction (television) Unsolicited Postal Unsolicited Telephone Unsolicited Fax Unsolicited Email Market Stall Trade Fair/Exhibition Boot Sale Doorstep Uninvited Doorstep Invited Street Canvasser Street Seller Continuous Purchase (e.g Subscription) Private purchase/sales Other
Your Complaint*: Must be completed
Purchase Details If you purchased the good or service please fill in this section.
What was the total you paid?
How did you pay? Cash Credit Card Debit Card Hire Purchase (HP) Other Credit (not HP) Store Card Cheque Bank Draft Postal Order Text Message Other
When did you purchase the good or service? (Even if you cannot be exact, the month and year would be helpful.)
Have you contacted the trader about your complaint?
YesNo
If yes, what was the trader's response?

Back