Tesco fined €600: charging more at the tills than the price displayed on shelf.

Brendan Burgess

Founder
The Irish Times [broken link removed] that The National Consumer Agency successfully prosecuted Tescos for overcharging.

The misleading prices were uncovered by agency inspectors after they visited stores in Talbot Street and Phibsboro, Dublin; Coonagh Cross, Limerick; Ennis, Co Clare; Maynooth and Clane, Co Kildare; Wexford town; Carrick- on-Shannon, Co Leitrim, and Greystones, Co Wicklow.

In a statement, Tesco said it was policy “to have clear prices in place at all times”. It said it had 2.7 million price labels up every day across all its stores and pointed out that it had been convicted “for a mistake in one of these”.
“This was as a result of human error during a time of major change in our stores. It should not have happened and we greatly regret it. Improvements have been made to our processes as a result.”

My experience with Tesco is that you're lucky to have ANY price displayed at all for many items and lots of times you see an out of stock notice and no price below the fully stocked shelf. Thankfully I don't shop there that often.

From the IT article by CONOR POPE, Consumer Affairs Correspondent

THE STATE’S largest retailer Tesco has been found guilty of misleading shoppers on eight separate occasions by charging more for goods at the tills than the price displayed on shelves.

The news the other night reported that their sales in the Republic have gone down - no surprises there so.

From the IT article by CONOR POPE, Consumer Affairs Correspondent

THE STATE’S largest retailer Tesco has been found guilty of misleading shoppers on eight separate occasions by charging more for goods at the tills than the price displayed on shelves.

Worth remembering though if you kop it at time of check out
that you are being over charged....continue to pay and therefore purchase the item and then go to customer service and point out the mistake and Tesco will then refund you the amount you were over charged by.

every little helps!

...Tesco will then refund you the amount you were over charged by.

every little helps!

Why not point it out at the till and save your self a long boring wait behind all the people returning stuff, buying cigarettes and lotto tickets? With just one person at the service desk who also answers the phone and makes announcements.

Why not point it out at the till and save your self a long boring wait behind all the people returning stuff, buying cigarettes and lotto tickets? With just one person at the service desk who also answers the phone and makes announcements.

If you point it out at the till then tesco are under no obligation to give you a refund and will probably only charge you the correct price as you have not actually purchased the product yet and therefore have not been overcharged.

Here in England, Tesco will give you back the full cost of anything for which you have been overcharged at the till.

Tesco will then refund you the amount you were over charged by.

Pudds,

But whats the point if Tescos only refund the amount you were overcharged by? It seems like an awful lot of hassle for a small amount of money.
aj

This doesn't make sense. What's the difference between paying the correct price in the first place and paying a higher price then seeking a refund of the overcharged amount?

I think what Pudds meant to say was that they will refund you the full amount you paid for the item, thus getting it for free.

Afaik, Tesco are now offering double the difference refund and not a total refund on overcharging.

They were being taken to the cleaners by some people who caught them out and then spread the word on online forums, those readers then in turn getting themselves full refunds along with the item free of charge courtesy of Tesco.

Im glad this has been highlighted, I revisited that store so many times over being overcharged at the till, these days I take particular care in what I spent and have to admit I may not have noticed in the good old days.

This doesn't make sense. What's the difference between paying the correct price in the first place and paying a higher price then seeking a refund of the overcharged amount?

Sorry I didn't explain things too well, as RonanC pointed out it was the double the difference I was referring to.

In some cases on items like tv's and computer stuff etc the over charge can be quite substantial but never query it at the till but always pay for the item and then seek a double the difference refund from customer service.

Helps make up for all the times we are overcharged and never bother to go back.

On a related but slightly different note in Tesco's. If an item is on sale and is out of stock you can request a ticket from customer service that entitles you to purchase the item at the sale price even after the end of the offer period. Worth bearing in mind for certain products such as wine which can be heavily discounted and run out very quickly.

My local tesco just gives back the overcharged amount. They refused to give the item for free or double the difference because they said people were taking advantage.

My local tesco just gives back the overcharged amount. They refused to give the item for free or double the difference because they said people were taking advantage.

OH was in Dunnes last week and was wrongly charged for a box of nappies, Dunnes refunded the full amount, happy days for the little un, 96 free nappies !!

This could all be avoided if prices were put on the products as it used to be. You cannot hope to remember all the prices on the shelves when you go to the till nor can you check it when you go home. Which is not good for the customer. With all the technology nowadays you'd think they would have come up with a better system.

Taking advantage????

Taking advantage of what? The fact that they were overcharging in the first place????

I was fortunate in Tesco recently in that a big steak reduced from roughly 7 euro to 4 in their bargain corner (as its best before date was imminent) rang through the till at 2 euro. Nothing to complain about there :)

Back