Tesco Email Scams

Not sure if it's the same scam, but there is a pop up 'competition' on the Google news feed where you can win any one of a number of prizes, including PS4, iPhone6, and a €500 Tesco voucher. I went a few screens into it until I saw a note about subscribing to Cellmaxx, for €10 a month. I exited but received a text today from the number inviting me to subscribe to win the €500 voucher.

There are emails circulating from a "gmail.com" address offering customers the chance to win a €500 voucher for Tesco, Ryanair and M&S. It's a phishing scam, and has nothing to do with any of the companies concerned.

There are emails circulating from a "gmail.com" address offering customers the chance to win a €500 voucher for Tesco, Ryanair and M&S. It's a phishing scam, and has nothing to do with any of the companies concerned.

Yes, this is the one I got

I was stupid enough to be duped into entering a competition for €500 voucher for Tesco in mid December. Tesco have nothing to do with the ruse. It is all above board. Here's how it works:- A Pop-Up appears on your laptop offering you the chance to win the prize and all you have got to do is enter your mobile telephone number which of course you cannot resist. Your are then charged €7.50 per week for entry into 3 weekly draws. To disengage from the competition you have then got to dial another "high price" number.

I asked Vodafone to cease this money being taken from my mobile phone account. They were unhelpful and made no effort whatsoever for me. I reported the matter to Comreg who were not very helpful either. Two weeks after seeing the pop-up I was down €15.00 so I emailed the "scammers" who terminated my membership.

Two of my work colleagues were wondering how their mobile credit was disappearing fast and I pointed out my story and they suddenly remembered entering the competition too.

The pop-up appears on your screen, but you are just seeing the prize and a target box for your mobile telephone number. The lower section of the pop-up is missing from what you can first see which contains the terms. I was fooled.

Since, I have left Vodafone. I know I would have been conned no matter what mobile provider I was with, but Vodafone were the crowd with which I was dealing and to hell with them too for their failure to stop my money being taken from my Vodafone account.

Since, I have left Vodafone. I know I would have been conned no matter what mobile provider I was with, but Vodafone were the crowd with which I was dealing and to hell with them too for their failure to stop my money being taken from my Vodafone account.

It wasn't Vodafone's responsibility to stop this. The provider, no matter how dubious their operating model, had a valid right to deduct that money, Vodafone have obligations to facilitate it (albeit under terms of contracts that provide them with a nice source of additional income).

What site were you on when the pop-up appeared? Perhaps targetting them would be more appropriate? Worked for the Irish Rail/ Complete Savings issue.

There is a fake Aer Lingus promotion scam offering €500 to answer one question on a survey.

Marion

Hi Leo, You're right and I was "scammed" albeit just inside the legal limit but from where I sit it should have been relatively easy for me to get out of the situation I landed myself in due to some underhand advertising through a pop-up by a legitimate company. Vodafone and the other providers have the machinery to stop such deductions, but they choose not to. I was a customer with Vodafone (but, it could have been any provider) and if they fail to activate available machinery for their customers they don't deserve me so I walked from Vodafone. I don't care of Vodafone's obligation to such companies. Too bad! I left them and it's about time these phone companies looked after their core business customers instead of peripheral money grabbers.

Further Warning:- I received a text message from this scamming outfit yesterday advising of a photo available on the website number provided. I clicked on the website and hey presto! another opportunity to win €500 Tesco Free Shopping. The bottom half of the page was not on screen which hid the terms outlining pricing etc. The top half indicated a free draw only.

Beware or you will be charged at least €7.50 for each week of "membership" - and still the mobile phone companies ignore such.

Got another one of these emails from Argos this time.
Only spotted the MintedMobi in very small text at the top.

Nothing really to do with the phone providers but comreg should crack down on this and get it stopped. It would be quite simple for them to do it.

Comreg will only look at individual complaints, anything general they don't seem to want to know

Back