Tesco Credit Card.

B

biggerry

Just read on Aertel [broken link removed] where Tesco will pay the €40 stamp duty for new customers.

It doesn't say if it's for the first year or if they'll pay it every year.

Has anybody got a Tesco credit card? If so, what do you think of it??

I have one, and it works just like any other Visa card. I use it wherever they won't take my Amex Blue.

Their website hasn't been updated with the details of the stamp duty offer, but you can find the old information on Tesco Credit Card
The Irish Independent also has an article Indo Link which would seem to indicate it's a once-off payment for the first 10,000 who get the card.

Points to note :

(1) There is a high interest rate and penalties are charged for missed payments etc. No problem if you intend to pay your balance in full each month.

(2) The clubcard points represent a discount of about .5% on all purchases and 1.5% on Tesco purchases. However these are paid in the form of vouchers usable only in Tesco.

(3) Occasionally I get a call from them asking if I really made a certain purchase. This happened over Christmas when I was buying lots of things from unusual locations via the internet. However, I don't mind this, as it is a good anti-fraud measure.

(4) They don't have an internet site to check your account.
(Neither do Amex Blue, incidentally)

(2) The clubcard points represent a discount of about .5% on all purchases and 1.5% on Tesco purchases. However these are paid in the form of vouchers usable only in Tesco.

Not being smart or anything but obviously one could save a lot more than 0.5%-1.5% by shopping in cheaper outlets such as Lidl or Aldi.

Not being smart or anything but obviously one could save a lot more than 0.5%-1.5% by shopping in cheaper outlets such as Lidl or Aldi

True. However, this wasn't a question about the relative merits of supermarkets - but about the Tesco Visa card. The 0.5% applies whether you buy from Tesco or not. I also save a lot by buying things on the internet using my Visa card, and still get the points.

Tesco Visa

Hi,

just to add to euroDilbert's posts above...

I also have a Tesco Visa card & have not been offered a year's stamp duty payment from them (although I think I might give them a call tomorrow & ask them for it, in return for my customer loyalty ;) )

I have previously had problems getting cash onto my Tesco Visa in good time, with some bank's refusing to accept the bank giro (& I'm taking Bank of Ireland - their clearing bank !). Ulster Bank have proven the best to date - point of interest, Ulster Bank is owned by Royal Bank of Scotland Group, who are joint owners of Tesco Personal Finance (with Tesco) ;)

I've not tried the An Post method of lodging as yet, but I was told by telephone a while back that you can only lodge cash to your account via An Post, no cheques (even written by yourself). Anyone able to confirm pls ?

Also, I gather lodgements from An Post take longer (maybe 5 working days) than by Bank giro (approx 3 working days) - again, can anyone confirm pls ?

Anyone know if you can use your Clubcard to collect points, along with your Tesco Visa in a Tesco Store ? (ie pay via Visa, but collect points via Clubcard on same transaction) ? .... obviously, this increases your return on these purchases :)

Regards

G>

Re: Tesco Visa

Garrettod

Anyone know if you can use your Clubcard to collect points, along with your Tesco Visa in a Tesco Store ? (ie pay via Visa, but collect points via Clubcard on same transaction) ? .... obviously, this increases your return on these purchases

If you use your Tesco Visa in Tesco, you get the equivalent of both automatically (i.e. 1.5%) so there is no need to use your Clubcard as well.

In fact, I use my Amex Blue + Clubcard whenever I buy in Tesco. The effective discount is the same, but with Amex Blue it comes in CASH !

Re: Tesco Visa

Also, I gather lodgements from An Post take longer (maybe 5 working days) than by Bank giro (approx 3 working days) - again, can anyone confirm pls ?
I have an AIB which I pay thru' the post office and the statement (for the following month) shows the transaction date as the next day normally. Problem here is that AIB have an agreement with the PO so I'm not sure whether this would be the same situation regarding your card.

Tesco Visa Card

Hi everyone

I'm an existing Tesco Visa Card holder and I phoned them about this issue this morning. I was told that they can't extend the scheme to existing customers, but they mentioned that if you have spent over €4000, they will credit back the €40 to you. I have to say that the girl didn't sound all that certain, so it remains to be seen how this works in April.

Rebecca

tesco credit card

the EUR40 cashback is only for the first year as far as i know.

Hi,

Rebecca

Thanks for taking the time to try and confirm the position with Tesco Personal Finance, however - based upon past experience ( & I suspect you got this feeling also)....

Staff at TPF are less than 100% accurate in the information they give out. I'd respectfully suggest you ask for stuff like this in writting from them, if you can get it ;)

euroDilbert

Thanks for the response above :)

Regards

G>

Re: ...

Agreed, however the problem is that Lidl and Aldi don't accept credit cards

Murt

Apply on-line

I applied on-line for my card on Jan 21. I haven't heard from them since.

Has anybody who applied on-line heard from them yet?

Billpay

I love my Tesco card because I shop a lot at them and the 1.5% do add up and as I use it for a lot of other things 0.5% back on my phonebill alone saves a lot of money.

If I go to the Postoffice and pay there (only cash, no lasercard, no check) the money is 1-2 days later on the account (most of the times after 1 day the available credit goes up by the amount I paid and the money shows a day later).

I have started using www.billpay.ie for my payments (saves me the walk to the Postoffice). I can use my Lasercard for the payments and the money is usualy on the account 1-2 days later (as above) but AnPost usualy takes 3-4 days to take the money from my current account, which is nice of them ;-)

I will give the a ring because I spend more than 4,000€ last year on the card, let's see what their answer is about the tax, maybe I have the same answer as MissRibena.

Re: Billpay

Hi

Any joy with the €40 rebate, when €4000 spent ?

Thanks

G>

Re: €40 rebate

Hi,

not at first, but I asked her if I cancel now will I be charged 40€ now? Answer was no. So I said, well than I think I will cancel my card now please. Got put on hold and about 5 minutes later she said, if I offer you 2000€ more limit would you stay? I said, that is nice but still I would have to pay 40€, are you sure about that I can not get a discount, I mean I spend an average fo 2000€ a month with you. 5 minutes later I had a 40€ credit promisse and the comment, that when they launch the *finest card range later on I will get upgraded without the need to pay the fee again.

So I have more limit and 40€ credit, I love it. When will they offer current accounts, I need a bank like that.

Back