Tesco Credit Card

munsterman25

Hi

I currently use an AIB Visa card. Use it quite a bit but pay it off in full every month.

Was thinking of switching to the tesco visa card and availing of the tesco points I could collect rather than getting nothing off AIB.

Anyone any expereince of the tesco card, and catches? Interest rates etc dont concern me as I pay in full every month.

thanks

I have a credit limit on my credit card of €10k. Like yourself, I pay mine off in full every month. I have never used the credit. The only reason I keep my current card is because I might need the credit sometime. Maybe if I was stuck in Spain because of volcanoes etc.
If you have no credit limit worth talking about I would certainly switch to Tesco or Ulster Bank.
How does the government tax work if you switch cards mid year? Do you end up paying both?

I have a credit limit on my credit card of €10k. Like yourself, I pay mine off in full every month. I have never used the credit. The only reason I keep my current card is because I might need the credit sometime. Maybe if I was stuck in Spain because of volcanoes etc.
If you have no credit limit worth talking about I would certainly switch to Tesco or Ulster Bank.
How does the government tax work if you switch cards mid year? Do you end up paying both?

My limit is 5,200 I think..........why do Tesco impose a much lower limit?

I think you get a letter from your previous card provider to say you have paid this years stamp duty and you dont have to pay again......I think

My limit is 5,200 I think..........why do Tesco impose a much lower limit?

I think you get a letter from your previous card provider to say you have paid this years stamp duty and you dont have to pay again......I think

You're right - Ask your old credit card issuer for a Letter of Closure, which proves that you paid the stamp duty for that year, and give it to the new credit card issuer.

I also pay bill in full every month - and Tesco credit card works very well for me. I have AIB Visa also but Tesco card is used for all large purchases - and the points do mount up and are always a bonus.

I may in time phase out AIB Visa but haven't yet because you can't view
your transactions on line with Tesco Visa. When buying on line from companies i haven't dealt with previously I tend to use AIB Visa because I can track/monitor transaction on line. With Tesco I get a monthly bill in the post which can be some time after the original transaction.

Also - if you withdraw cash on Tesco Visa you pay interest from date of withdrawal. This is not the case with AIB Visa. You pay a one off transaction charge.

With regard to paying your bill - you can pay through on-line banking. I rang through to helpline and got their bank details. Much more convenient than writing a cheque/going to bank.

In summary - if you manage properly - the Tesco card can be used to great advantage.

Note the points don't have to be spent in Tesco - you can get 4 times the value if you go for the Deals. Mine are usually spent in Milano [€2.50 worth of points buys €10 voucher]

One last thing - as far as I can recall - the incentive to sign up covered the first year stamp duty.

I also pay bill in full every month - and Tesco credit card works very well for me. I have AIB Visa also but Tesco card is used for all large purchases - and the points do mount up and are always a bonus.

I may in time phase out AIB Visa but haven't yet because you can't view
your transactions on line with Tesco Visa. When buying on line from companies i haven't dealt with previously I tend to use AIB Visa because I can track/monitor transaction on line. With Tesco I get a monthly bill in the post which can be some time after the original transaction.

Also - if you withdraw cash on Tesco Visa you pay interest from date of withdrawal. This is not the case with AIB Visa. You pay a one off transaction charge.

With regard to paying your bill - you can pay through on-line banking. I rang through to helpline and got their bank details. Much more convenient than writing a cheque/going to bank.

In summary - if you manage properly - the Tesco card can be used to great advantage.

Note the points don't have to be spent in Tesco - you can get 4 times the value if you go for the Deals. Mine are usually spent in Milano [€2.50 worth of points buys €10 voucher]

One last thing - as far as I can recall - the incentive to sign up covered the first year stamp duty.

Ya sounds like it would work for me.....I always pay off the balance in full and never withdraw cash with it. One thing I wondered when I read the T and C's was about foreign currency transactions, do these incur an interest charge or does that occur only when you withdraw foreign currency from an ATM abroad

Tesco visa card

I have a Tesco card too, and pay in full each month. The clubcard points do add up! We have used them for ferry fares, meals out, Legoland tickets, zoo tickets, magazine subs etc. I'm delighted with the card. However they are quick to freeze the card if they see unusual transactions or patterns. It is always resolved immediately on the phone - but we were embarrassed once in a sports shop in France when it was refused and we couldn't speak French! We had enough cash to pay instead (approx 250 euro) - I rang them on my mobile from the car park, and once they knew it was the card holder attempting the transaction they cleared us to use the card again. All in all I'd prefer their security to be tight - even if it means they occasionally ring us to query a transaction - especially if it's an overseas website or purchase. It hasn't happened for a few years. I sometimes ring them before going on a holiday, to let them know what countries we will be making transactions in - so as to avoid a repeat of the French sports shop episode!

Hi Munsterman

Do you have the AIB Platinum, coz I think it was mentioned, there is a bonus payment due each month, depending on your spend, 0.5% I think, subject to conditions, see below:

Features

• Cash Back Awards

The Platinum Visa Card includes a special offer of 0.5% cash back, on purchase spends over EUR5,000 (refunds excluded) (maximum EUR50,000) in a 12 month period. The cash back awards are calculated on a monthly basis and credited to your account on the statement date each month. Applies from the date the account is opened, and at the end of each 12 month period the offer will restart. Terms and conditions apply.
Introductory 3.9% APR on Purchases

• New AIB cardholders will benefit from an introductory APR of 3.9% on purchases for 12 months, from the date your credit card account is opened. After 12 months the APR on purchases will revert to the standard APR, currently 11.5% (variable), allowing you to enjoy one of the lowest APRs on the market and up to 56 days interest-free credit.
Introductory 3.9% APR Balance Transfer Rate

• For all new AIB cardholders an APR of 3.9% will be applied on Balance Transfers for 12 months from the date your credit card account is opened. Applies to balances transferred from store cards or non-AIB cards.At the end of those 12 months the APR reverts back to the standard rate applicable to the product at that time.
More Platinum Visa Features - View More Platinum Features in our Related Information section .
Additional Optional Insurance Products -View additional product options in our Related Information section

Who Can Apply?

• AIB Customers or non-AIB Customers without AIB Internet Banking: Call us on 1890 724724 or by completing an application form at any AIB branch
  • AIB Internet Banking Customers: Apply by selecting the 'Apply for ‘Platinum’ on AIB Internet Banking' link for a faster response
Note:The APRs are variable and correct as at 9th March 2009.

Sorry,can't post link due to posting restrictions, hopefully soon :)

We've had one for the past 2 years and we've very happy with it. We got it to maximise our Tesco Clubcard points and we use it for everything over €10 and pay off the card in full every month, rather than using cash or laser. I've also no problem in lending to my sis for booking flights etc as she pays her share the next day via the Post Office.

We use the Tesco points for Clubcard Deals tokens - this year our saved points converted to €1200 in Deal Tokens which paid for our ferry to France and a mobile home with Siblu. All we had to add in cash was €90. To us, the card is working the way we want it to. We always notify them if we're travelling abroad to make sure there's no problems using the card. Our limit is €5k which is plenty - we don't need a bigger one. I pay it using billpay.ie as we transfer money from our own bank accounts & the joint account.

I've applied for a tesco credit card and got an letter saying my new tesco card was just a signature away including a credit agreement which i signed and sent back to them in the prepaid envelope. I got a second letter the next day saying my application was approved and asking for prof of address etc . I sent on the required documents , does any one know how long it will be before I receive the card ?

How long does it take to hear ANYTHING back from Tescos? I sent off my application over 2 weeks ago and nothing yet, not even ' thank you..we are preocessing your application'.

How long did it take others to get their card approved?

I have had a torrid time getting my application finalised...granted it was complicated by the fact that i moved house in the middle of my application....my application was sent in March and i havent yet gotten my card even though it is supposedly just a signature away! they are tremendously petty about the documents to verify identity so be sure to handover everything required as complete as possible is all I can say. Do not expect them to call you after your submission....customer service is practically non-existant. I have had to call them more than 5 times to check on the status of my application and each time I get more frustrated than the previous time. If the latest document submission is still not adequate, then I give up - I am just going to apply for the Ulster CCard. It really shouldnt be this difficult to card. I got my application to TDWaterhouse sorted in a week!

Thanks annetcl

Oh dear, does not sound good - no service level agreements then!!

Maybe I should go with MBA as they hound me all the time, but I wanted my Club Points as a Bonus with a Tesco CC. Oh well, just stick with AIB then.

Out of interest what number did you call them on? The CC Customer Support line wanted a Teasco CC Number - I gave up !!

How long does it take to hear ANYTHING back from Tescos? I sent off my application over 2 weeks ago and nothing yet, not even ' thank you..we are preocessing your application'.

How long did it take others to get their card approved?

I applied in April, finally got it today... I sent wrong documentation twice, so I'm partially to blame, but they are in no hurry to get back to you when theres a problem.

I knew they had no online banking, but thought there was a telephone banking number for balance checking - can't find a number for it thou in the documentation, anyone confirm this?

Thanks annetcl

Maybe I should go with MBA as they hound me all the time, but I wanted my Club Points as a Bonus with a Tesco CC. Oh well, just stick with AIB then.

Out of interest what number did you call them on? The CC Customer Support line wanted a Teasco CC Number - I gave up !!

Hi Mimmi

Sorry for the late reply. I have no problem calling them at this number: 1800555739 - whether they are of any help or not is another matter. Have not heard from them since i resent my documents!

Thanks annetcl

I am officially giving up on Tesco! Called for the 10th time and they managed to find another 'fault' in the documents I sent! I can't believe this! Ulster it is for me!

Back