Tesco Bank Cuts Credit Card Rewards

True, ardkeen, the drop is far worse than I first realised.
I was thinking of keeping the card just for my occasional Tesco purchases, as I double the vouchers against Bord Gais bills. But after analysis I see it will now be worth switching to a cheaper electricity supplier once the November vouchers have been used up.
I have had thousands of free money out of Tesco over the years, despite spending very little in their shops, so shouldn't complain.

I am in the same position as you Gervan...I think I would struggle now to get vouchers to the value of the government stamp duty so can't justify having 2 credit cards now so I think its bye bye to tesco....it was good while it lasted

I still haven't got the letter. Real shame.

I never really found ways to put many large transactions on the card anyway as things like flights charged extra to pay by cc

How does this change work?
Do you have to spend €8 to get the points, or does it add them up over the period?
Eg, if I spend €7 = no points
If I then spend €9, do I get the points for both transactions?

The terms state "1 point awarded per €8 spent (€8 minimum) outside Tesco in each purchase transaction". If you spend €7.99, you'll get no points (outside Tesco). If you spend €79.90 in ten €7.99 transactions, you'll get no points - the spend is not aggregated for points purposes.

Last edited:
The terms state "1 point awarded per €8 spent (€8 minimum) outside Tesco in each purchase transaction". If you spend €7.99, you'll get no points (outside Tesco). If you spend €79.90 in ten €7.99 transactions, you'll get no points - the spend is not aggregated for points purposes.
Are you sure about that? I thought they divided the monthly spend by 8 and appply that number of points.

Yes; I'm sure. It's per purchase transaction. That's how it currently works with 1 point per €2 spent outside Tesco. After 5th October, it'll be per €8 spent.

Yes; I'm sure. It's per purchase transaction. That's how it currently works with 1 point per €2 spent outside Tesco. After 5th October, it'll be per €8 spent.
Fiendish, what! I am done with Tesco now and will apply for an AIB Platinum Card for the cashback.

Last edited:
Thats a pity. It was worth a lot to me after trebling my points for my tesco mobile account. I will be back to solely having my TSB visa ICE in March and closing Tesco card before the April 30 Euro government charge.

Account now closed

Back