Termination of tenancy

Kiernp

Hi,

I have just served a termination of notice on a tenant in accordance with PRTB regulations. It has consistently been difficult to get him to pay his rent and now he has stopped paying entirely. I have had no response to the notification from him.

I wonder has anyone else had experience of the process from here on, whether they managed to get paid any rental arrears, did they hire a solicitor etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Regards,
Kiernp.

Is this the same rent allowance tenant you posted about before Christmas? If so, did you manage to get in touch with the Health Board with a view to having the rent paid directly to you?

Have you contacted the PRTB to advise them of the situation and to seek assistance? [broken link removed]details of their resolution service. I haven't had to use their services yet, but understand that you do not need a solicitor - they will deal with the dispute and rule accordingly.

Have a read through some of their recent rulings for more information.

Best of luck.

Hi,

Yes I spoke to the Health Board. They had stopped his rent allowance a week previously after they had problems with him. I have had a look at the PRTB material, especially to make sure that I followed the correct procedure.

This was news to me for instance:

Where the breach of the tenant’s obligations is a failure to pay the amount of rent due, a termination notice may only be served following the written notification by the landlord to the tenant of the amount owing and the rent still being owed 14 days after that notification is received.

I was curious to hear first hand other people's experiences of similar situations. The guy is working for himself and there appears to be no shortage of money or so I'm told by his neighbour. I am owed quite a lot of money and I am considering how best I might get this back.

Regards,
Padraic

Hi Padraic

Sorry to hear he is still causing you problems - the Health Board stopping the rent allowance would ring very loud alarm bells with me and I'd move very quickly to get him out.

I haven't used the PRTB yet, but have evicted through the courts and believe me it was very lengthy and very expensive so you're lucky to be able to avail of their services. Have you contacted them yet?

I'd also go to the property to do an detailed inspection, you'll have to give the tenant 7 days notice, unless in the case of an emergency. There may be other breaches of tenancy obligations you can then raise with the PRTB in addition to the non-payment of rent - perhaps he's running a business from the property?

It would probably be helpful to others if you can post your experience with the PRTB and the eviction back here.

Good luck.

Back