Termination of lease

roygibv

Myself and my girlfriend are renting a house in Dublin. Our lease is up in august and the landlord asked us to sign a new lease for the next 12 months. It was written into the new lease that if we prematurely terminate the lease we automatically forfeit our rent. Is this legal?
If for example we need to move after 9 months do we loose the deposit? Some people have told me that I have to give 35 days notice and the landlord has to give back the deposit back and likewise the landlord can give us 35 days notice and we have to leave the house.
So if we give 35 days notice after 9 months of the new lease do we loose the deposit if the landlord wants to keep it.

If he is playing hard ball with you then do same back, If your desposit is 1 months rent , and at the end of the month you pay your rent, then if you left on day your rent was due what could he do,

dodo said:
If he is playing hard ball with you then do same back, If your desposit is 1 months rent , and at the end of the month you pay your rent, then if you left on day your rent was due what could he do,

Nobody pays rent at the end of the month.

All leases will generally have a termination clause of thirty days notice in writing. Just ask for a copy of the lease and tell your landlord you want a day or two befor you sign. Look for a termination clause and if its not there or if there is anything else you dislike, barter for it. Unless the landlord is a complete demon you should be fine.

Back