Termination of a Tenancy for Renovation - Tenants Rights

Dublinchic

I am giving notice to my 3 tenants as I am planing a substantial refurbishment of my property. The job is going to take about 10-12 weeks. Each person has their own lease and they all moved at different times. (I've had the house for 20 years and it needs the work to be carried out as it has become dated, there hasn't been a rent increase in the last 10 years).

I am using the RTB guidelines and have used the template they provide for the Notice of Termination for each tenant I am also giving the same amount of notice which is 90 days (2 have been there for less than a year and the 3rd tenant has been there 4 years but they are currently subletting as they are working overseas). I had told the tenants 6 months ago that the work was being planned for 2018.

As per the RTB I must give the current tenants first refusal to rent if the house is available for rent within 6 months which is fine, but I am not interested in doing 3 leases going forward. I am only really interested in one lease as it is just too much work trying to manage 3.

How will this work, if they all want to rent but don’t want one lease? I emailed the RTB to ask this question and they didn’t answer the question at all.

I believe you have to offer it, but there's nothing that says your lease terms have to be identical.

I'd agree with one lease arrangement, one tenant name; any more is just hassle.

Back