teresa treacy - still in jail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not bury the power cables? Because I think that can be up to 10 to 20 times more expensive than pylons. How do you bury pylons through a woodland? By veering left and right of the trees? By digging a tunnel under them? It is complicated.

Try finding the location of a fault in an underground line.

Troll alert..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

daithi

I'm just thinking about people who illegally trespass on property and won't move, and people that illegally inhabit property without planning permission, but won't move. Does anyone for one minute think that if this land was owned by travellers that wanted to stay on the land, that they would be chucked in jail? sure it would be infringing on their human rights wouldn't it?

Fair and reasoned comment from ONE . And thanks to NAI who introduced me to that interesting website Indymedia- just spent ages on this rainy day reading it.

Both posts caused me to lessen my ire at lady's imprisonment, though still think that throwing her in jail is OTT.

And I still believe that far more electricity cables should be underground. According to really boring websites like europacable.com the extra cost of cabling underground is diminishing, and is now between 2- 4 times more than overground depending on ground conditions -rock being a problem but soft soil being a doddle. Fair point about underground cables in forests, ONE.

This case has nothing to do with travellers though...On the face of it, the lady in question is refusing to obey a court ordered directive, and in doing so, has been found to be in contempt..I imagine the anger at her imprisonment has more to to with the fact that certain individuals who have cost this country dearly through their arrogance,ineptitude and greed are never likely to see the inside of a jail cell for their actions.,whilst Ms Treacy is seen to be a defender of her own property.

daithi

I imagine the anger at her imprisonment has more to to with the fact that certain individuals who have cost this country dearly through their arrogance,ineptitude and greed are never likely to see the inside of a jail cell for their actions.,whilst Ms Treacy is seen to be a defender of her own property.

This is part of it alright. I heard on the radio this morning that a homeless guy that has stolen 1,100 euro from church collection boxes over time has been given a 6 month sentence. Even the guards were shocked.

An elderley lady has spent weeks in Mountjoy jail, due to a disgraceful action brought by the ESB and the heavy handed sentence by a judge.

Meanwhile, the bankers/developers and politicians who wrecked the economy have spent the last three years enjoying their freedom, with not so much as a single charge brought against them for their reckless mismanagement of billions in others’ money.

Truly there is a two tiered joke system of "Justice" in Ireland

Glad to say I have pulled my account from the ESB due to their disgraceful actions !

Meanwhile, the bankers/developers and politicians who wrecked the economy have spent the last three years enjoying their freedom, with not so much as a single charge brought against them for their reckless mismanagement of billions in others’ money.

So it's a free-for-all until all bankers/developers & politicians are hung from the rafters?

An elderley lady has spent weeks in Mountjoy jail, due to a disgraceful action brought by the ESB and the heavy handed sentence by a judge.

Truly there is a two tiered joke system of "Justice" in Ireland

Glad to say I have pulled my account from the ESB due to their disgraceful actions !

pulling your account from the ESB is irrelevant as this issue is being driven by Eirgrid, who all the power companies use

I really fail to see what relevance it has to property developers, other then that if the forest was owned by one, insteasd of by a pensioner, would you be so sympathetic?

If Eirgrid do re-route the lines, I'm sure the other landholders who will now end up with pylons on their land will appreciate this womans NIMBYism approach

So what do you expect to happen when progress on the national grid is held up by individual landowners, in defiance of the law?

Teresa Treacy stood to gain up to approximately 150,000 euro in 3 staged payments if she agreed to the project and on condition that no legal costs were incurred by the ESB if they had to go to court, in which case the last 2 payments would be 'forfeited'.

This deal, negotiated by the IFA over the course of 2 years, seemed to appease most of the landowners

If Eirgrid choose another route and the other landowners on this route miss out on their compensation she'll be making enemies in the locality.

Well maybe she doesn't care but her decision will mean a lot for her neighbours who might be waiting for that money to be paid out

The answer, complainer, to your question "so what do you expect to happen..." is what has happened in the last 24 hours ,as reported in todays Offalyexpress (online).

It appears that a compromise is being reached where the amount of forestry being destroyed has will be halved. prior to that ,and due to the long battle of this lady, Eirgrid has agreed to re-planting , some compensation and other things that they never normally agree unless one fights.

I am surprised and saddened by the attitude of some posters who feel "because its the law " it was wrong of this lady to fight against the actions of this semi-state body and that she is being justly punished.

Even more surprising is the lack of understanding concerning the propriety of this person being jailed whilst far worse offenders are free -and even being rewarded for actions that have greatly damaged this state and its people. Justice is only justice when it is even handed. This lady in prison , Fingleton free with millions of our money ? Come on !

And what is wrong with a bit of NIMBYism ? Should one not protect one's home, land, possessions, family, or whatever is nearest and dearest ?

I am surprised and saddened by the attitude of some posters who feel "because its the law " it was wrong of this lady to fight against the actions of this semi-state body and that she is being justly punished.

Hi oldnick. Whilst I agree with you in principle (that's how many laws are changed afterall), I must say I find this story bizzare. It's not like some unique historical monument is being destroyed or even a newly founded snail...but some trees and not even rare hardwood, deciduous trees, but boring olf conifers, which the ESB have promised to replace. Why oh why does the lady attach so much to these trees?

There is nothing wrong with this lady fighting the decision of the semi-state. What is wrong is that when she lost the fight, she decided not to adhere to the decision. Nobody has the right to take the law into their own hands.

Even more surprising is the lack of understanding concerning the propriety of this person being jailed whilst far worse offenders are free -and even being rewarded for actions that have greatly damaged this state and its people. Justice is only justice when it is even handed. This lady in prison , Fingleton free with millions of our money ? Come on !

Just because someone else has done something wrong, it does not give all of us the right to break the law. Are you saying that nobody in this country should be sent to jail until the banking crisis is resolved to your satisfaction? Should we free all the murderers and rapists who have been convicted since the banking crisis began?

And what is wrong with a bit of NIMBYism ? Should one not protect one's home, land, possessions, family, or whatever is nearest and dearest ?

There is a lot wrong with it.

NIMBYism = Selfishness and disrespect for your fellow citizens.

when you go home this evening and turn on your TV and lights, be grateful that the people who live along the course of your powerlines didn't agree with you.

Folks, bankers/developers have nothing to do with this story, so please keep the thread focused to the facts of this case.

Plenty of people put themselves and or their families first in the face of a greater good. Of course it's selfish, it still doesn't mean it's wrong beyond a basic human instict to protect what you have. Not everyone can be bought off with money, sometimes what they have built up and made for themselves is more important than just money. If this wasn't true and justifiable, we wouldn't have the Croke Park Agreement.

So like Oldnick is saying, this isn't black and white, this isn't good/bad ESB vs irrational/heroic woman. Do I want a better, efficient and maybe cheaper electrical service? Of course. Would I want my land dug up and overhead lines put in? No.

It wouldn't be because of any fears or love of trees, I just wouldn't want them on my land and I don't think the compensation package would change that.

It's easy to accuse people of NIMBYism when you're not affected. I'm not affected either, but I can sympathise with her as I can understand the reason for the power lines and Eirgrid's initial refusal to change its compensation package. But they both played poker thinking the other would back down and unfortunately she lost, but shame on Eirgrid for letting it go that far.

Anyway. I worked and saved hard so we could get the house we wanted. I work hard(ish) so we can keep it and enjoy it as a family, that's my priority. If someone came along and said it was compulsory that a pylon, or anything else that would spoil what I have in the name of progress, went in my back garden, absolutely I'd fight it tooth and nail. I'm sorry, it isn't rational in the sense of the greater good, but then as humans we aren't rational when it comes to something as fundamental as a home we create for ourselves.

But it's good to judge people, so keep up the love of the fellow man and all his foibles. You're right, there should be no limit to the machine of progress or compromise on something as irrational as sentimentality.

Has anyone heard the ESB spokeswoman on the issue? I must say I was impressed by her practical and concillatory response. Narrowing the corridoor by 50% planting native hazel bushes and dogwood under the power line and some other measures to mitigate the impact on the environment.

Anyway. I worked and saved hard so we could get the house we wanted. I work hard(ish) so we can keep it and enjoy it as a family, that's my priority. If someone came along and said it was compulsory that a pylon, or anything else that would spoil what I have in the name of progress, went in my back garden, absolutely I'd fight it tooth and nail. I'm sorry, it isn't rational in the sense of the greater good, but then as humans we aren't rational when it comes to something as fundamental as a home we create for ourselves.

This lady's home is not at risk.

You are entitled to defend your property rights but not in defiance of a court order.

Has anyone heard the ESB spokeswoman on the issue? I must say I was impressed by her practical and concillatory response. Narrowing the corridoor by 50% planting native hazel bushes and dogwood under the power line and some other measures to mitigate the impact on the environment.

The lady I heard on radio the other evening stressed that she was from Eirgrid, not the ESB. She sounded perfectly reasonable and conciliatory.

This lady's home is not at risk.

You are entitled to defend your property rights but not in defiance of a court order.

I didn't say it was at risk. I'm just not judging her harshly on the basis of what a court order, compulsory purchase order or blinkered accusations of NIMBYism. I'm saying I understand her feelings completely and that I too probably wouldn't be easily bought if it meant everything I'd worked for was to be ruined by some pylons being plonked on my land.

It's great too that Eigrid are so compassionate and accomodating after forcing the issue through the courts and putting her in a no win situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back