Tender for Building Contractors

wexford7

Anyone got any templates or examples that I may use for a tender i'm intending to send out to building contractors... Help is appreciatiated

The devil is in the detail. Do your homework, finalise everything and give as much detail as possible. Working drawing, drawing details and full specification required in order to accurately price the job. (Deja vous?)

Wexford7,

I recently went out to tender to four builders with the following:

• Cover Letter incl date for return of tenders
  • Instruction to Tenderers
  • Scope of Work document - about 6-8 pages long, I did this on the advice of a QS I know who is currently building. This is basically everything you wish the house to be built of and what you want included in the contract price.
  • Bill of Quantities - I am also a QS so did this myself.
  • Engineers drawings - detailed
  • Architects drawings fom planning stage
Its not a perfect suite of documents and has a homemade look to it in places, as I don't have any experience really in domestic construction, but it should pick up most of the expensive problems before they occur (hopefully!!).
Hope this helps,
Boots

Hi wexford7

In addition to the advices from RKQ and Boots I'd like to add that if you're building anything other than a house for your own private use or an extension to you own house, you may be a client and may need to comply with the Health and Safety Legislation.

Assuming you have already appointed an architect, you either need to ask him to take on board the post of PSDP or appoint another competent person to perform these duties.
The PSDP should liaise with the designers and prepare the Safety and Health Plan.
This document should be included with the tenders.
You should advise the builders who the PSCS will be or inform them that the successful tenderer will be required to carry out those duties.

If this is your private house or an extension to your private dwelling then you aren't a client.
The designers and contractor still need to comply with the relevant H&S legislation

You can read more about the duties of clients and designers and when these definitions apply in the relevant section of the Self-Build FAQ in this Forum.
The best of posts like those above will be incorporated into it for the various stages.
I wrote it thus far, its a work in progress and I'm happy to stand corrected on it.

For the record this work stalled in the run up Christmas when I ran into the 40,000 character limit for articles on this forum.
I intend to sub-divide it and ask others to contribute so RKQ and boots you might be asked to contribute if you have a mind to.
One or two others who have already offered will be asked to contribute as well.

Happy New Year guys.

;)

HTH

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Back