Tenants to pay Mgmt Fee

Winter Miles

Hi Guys

I have an apartment with a couple living in it the last 10 years. They signed a lease when they first moved and this has not been updated since.

The original rent was 1050 and this was negotiated downwards (as low as 800) by the tenants during the recession years. The rent currently stands at 950 and I've been caught by the RPZ. The rent was put up 18 months ago so I figure I'm due to increase the rent by 4% in 6 months. Presently, similar apartments are getting 1250.

I currently let the property with a free underground parking spot and I also pay 1400 towards the management company fees which include bin collections.

Can I charge the tenant separately for the car space and the mgmt Co fees in addition to the 4% hike in rent?

The property is currently on a restructured mortgage, however if I was to get full market rent I'd be in a position to go back to full capital and interest repayments.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Is the parking spot part of the tenancy agreement? If so, I don't think you could start charging for it separately now.
And no, you can't add the management charges to the cost of the rent now...

This was just on liveline so it appears to be the way some are approaching it.

Can I charge the tenant separately for the car space and the mgmt Co fees in addition to the 4% hike in rent?
The RPZ regime does not restrict you from charging whatever rate you negotiate with your tenant for the provision of a parking space associated with the property or agreeing that any particular expense relating to the property will be for the account of the tenant.

Obviously these additional items have to be actually agreed with your tenant - you can't unilaterally impose them on your tenant without their agreement.

I heard on the radio last week that this is the model that renting will be moving to over the next few years. They said it's already happening now with the tenants having to pay for parking and management charges over and above the headline rent figure.
They were also talking about adding in key money and renting the furniture to tenants separately.

Back