Tenants have indicated they're not going to pay the last months rent

Exactly

The revenue commissioners publish names of people who do not pay their tax, again they are just stating what is factual.

Bad example, Revenue publishes details of tax settlements where certain criteria are met. That publication is required under statute.

Thanks so much for all the replies. They've said they're going to pay. We'll see when the rent date rolls around! I'm going to get two months rent in future as suggested also. These guys are unreal. At the start of the summer one of them rang me and said that he was going to Germany for the summer so wasn't going to pay "his part" of the rent but not to worry, he'd be back in October and resume paying rent. I rang the Da (father of one of the other ones) and told them I didn't take to kindly to them trying to pull a fast one on a woman who'd recently given birth. I told him if the rent wasn't paid in full by them whether yer man was in Germany or not they'd be deemed to have broken the lease early and would have to get out and I'd retain the deposit. Needless to say the rent was paid in full albeit not ever on time. These lads will not be getting a reference from me!

They're not 'unreal' you are. Ye old student off for xmas, Easter or whatever and we're not paying rent while we're not there is just standard student operational tactics. But canny landlord, despite risking all by letting to students had the wherewithal to have Dads telephone no!

And you make me laugh, references!

Have you git paper, ink, printer, and biro and I'll show you a reference that would house Bernie Madoff.

So the boyos have paid their rent. I have now tried to arrange viewings with prospective tenants and they have said that the apartment isn't in a fit state for a viewing and won't be until the end of the tenancy. Can I give them an appointment date and time (say in a few days time) and expect them to comply with it? If they aren't at home can I enter the property to show it to them? Thanks

Well done on getting the rent. Excellent news. You won't want to hear my next advice, do not show it with sitting tenants, it's just a mad thing to do in my experience.

And no you of course can not enter their property without their permission - absolutely not.

If you really really want to show it, then you could 'try' to arrange it with the tenants, and this will backfire spectacularly as they will be in bed or out or wearing underwear or 10 unknown sleeping students on the couch and floor surrounded by beer cans.

You can however put it up on daft, and put up your previous good pictures and state it's not for viewing until x date. I assume you're going to have to paint it, so organise that now. I'd also gift the tenants a few rolls of black bags, j cloths and jif - you might be lucky !

I think you should count your blessings you got the rent and be prepared for some scrubbing.

But I thought that I have the right to inspect the property during the duration of the tenancy?

Have you not been in it yet? Have a go, but you need their permission. How are you going to enforce your 'right' if they don't allow you in? You're doing very well now, just deduct the damage at the end from the deposit. Alternatively have a pop around when only one of them is at home, any excuse might get you entry. Consensual entry.

I have been in twice during the tenancy but it wasn't for inspection. It was just to pick up things. I have some very good prospective tenants lined up and I am eager to get it sorted soon. They're being very unreasonable by not allowing me in. I'm actually really fearing what state it's in now.

They're being very unreasonable by not allowing me in. .

But they have rights too and don't have to do what you want. I'm sure they got an earful from their parents and they also know they'll be getting probably zero deposit back. You got the rent, you have the deposit to pay for cleaning and painting, unless they were crazy altogther that should be enough. You've learnt a lot. You've waiting tenants. Don't push it.

Fingers crossed the cooker isn't beyound cleaning. Some things are just not worth scrubbing for. And hopefully everything in the fridge is dead.

I have been in twice during the tenancy but it wasn't for inspection. It was just to pick up things. I have some very good prospective tenants lined up and I am eager to get it sorted soon. They're being very unreasonable by not allowing me in. I'm actually really fearing what state it's in now.
Why didn't you do inspections, from time to time, as you are entitled to do?

Why were you 'just picking some things up'? It is their home while they are paying rent (and probably even if they fail to pay) and are entitled to exclusive use of the property.

I never entered the property without permission. On two occasions I was collecting post (by appointment) and I was invited into the hallway and kitchen. They've always had exclusive use of the property.

I never entered the property without permission. On two occasions I was collecting post (by appointment) and I was invited into the hallway and kitchen. They've always had exclusive use of the property.
In my opinion, and it just my opinion, once a property has been let as a tenancy, the landlord ceases to have any right to use the property as a postbox. It is no longer the landlords principle private residence and all your post should be sent to your new address, not to the address of your tenants.

Perhaps I have a suspicious mind, but a landlord who still uses the address of the property let often do so in order to not let a mortgage company/bank or other relevant companies know that s/he is not living there any more. Yep, call me suspicious. Though, I fully understand that it can take several months for all companies to update their records and it can be easy to remember to notify each and every one of them as, in general, there may be quite a few.

A wise idea is to keep an active list of all companies, departments and people who should be notified.

Sorry to pick on you, GirlTuesday.

yes you are picking on me. I've been a good landlord and these guys have taken the utter piss out of me all year. They've been nothing but hassle. As I said previously, not once was the rent paid on time. I constantly had to deal with complaints from neighbours regarding their behaviour. My baby was three weeks old when I moved out and these guys moved in. I didn't get my address changed on everything immediately as I was recovering from surgery, I had a newborn, I'd just moved house and as I'm self employed I was back to work also.

Back