Tenants are staying on - does lease have to be renewed?

FilthyRich

I have had tenants in my apartment for the last year.

The lease we signed at the beginning of the tenancy was given to me by the estate agent who interviewed them. It was downloaded from www.topfloor.ie

On the first page of the lease it says,
"This is a periodic month-to-month tenancy agreement, 4 year cycle."
The estate agent crossed out the words "month-to-month" and inserted the word "yearly".

The tenants would like to stay on in the apartment and this is fine by me. I would be grateful if someone could answer the following questions:

Does the lease have to be renewed or are they automatically entitled to stay on for another 3 years as they have gone past the 6 month mark?

If they are entitled to stay on, are both parties still covered by the terms of the original lease?

Also, as they are staying on, is this covered by my original subscription to the PRTB or is this considered a new tenancy?

Thank you.

If there is nothing specifically called out for in the agreement on continuation after the agreement period, then I would suggest that you renew.

It may avoid difficulties further down the line in terms of how to deal with non payments, upkeep of premise etc etc which are currently covered.

Back