Tenant wrecks property , moves out and repairs have to be done before next let. Tax?

PaxmanK

A tenant wrecks a rental and has to be given their full deposit back to get rid of them. Waste of time and money chasing them through the RTB as they are on social welfare.

Thousands of euro worth of repairs need to be done before a new tenant can move in.

New carpets, full paint job, disinfecting, new presses, new couch, new table and chairs, new front door, new bath and shower, garden cleanup required.

Am I correct in assuming those repair costs are fully tax deductible and are not counted as pre-letting expenses?

Correct they are capital expenses and current expenses. The capital expenses should be deducted from your gross income over the next 8 years and the current expenses can be deducted in the current tax year.

Thousands of euro worth of repairs need to be done before a new tenant can move in.

New carpets, full paint job, disinfecting, new presses, new couch, new table and chairs, new front door, new bath and shower, garden cleanup required.

Am I correct in assuming those repair costs are fully tax deductible and are not counted as pre-letting expenses?

- Correct they are not pre letting expenses, that is only when you first purchase the property and do renovations prior to the very first letting ever.
- All of those are repairs in my book, other than the table and chairs when you can put under wear and tear.
- You have my sympathies. Sounds like you had animals in the place.
- Please take pictures and the next landlord is in for a nasty surprise. It's an awful pity these type of animals can't be put up on a website so we know who to avoid.

There is a crazy story in the indo about a 'bad' landlord who demanded the entire rent up front from 'poor' students. Anyone who deals with students knows the only way with them it so get rent up front. What the article didn't state, is that all student's residences get the rent in two half yearly amounts up front. And for very good reason. But no mention of that in the article, usual tabloid fodder about how landlords are the bad guys. I've seen first hand what good middle class people's lovely children can do to a property.

Back