Tenant running holistic therapy business without permission

I have no idea why landlords would issue defective leases that don't specify the full expectations of their prospective tenants. T&Cs in contracts must be explicit, nothing is ever implicit.

.....T&Cs in contracts must be explicit, nothing is ever implicit.
You have just upended centuries of contract law!!!

Many, many contracts have implied terms. Ever hear of custom and practice? There are terms that are implied by law, either statute law or common law, in many types of contract. Employment law would be a good example, but there's many others too.

Just because we have an appallingly lax attitude to law enforcement, planning, traffic, licencing and criminal, doesn't mean authority cedes to the property owner. In decisions like "allowing" commercial activity from a residential premises, the landlord has no authority, zero.
I'd suggest you read through a few planning decisions over the years. The majority of properties have no condition attached prohibiting commercial activity, indeed how much of our housing stock was built prior to the planning system coming into force?

I'm guessing you're confusing a condition that is now commonly applied to all domestic developments with a garage. Most if not all LAs will attach a condition requiring they be used for domestic and private purposes only. My current home has such a condition, it applies to the garage only, my last property didn't have a garage and had no such condition, though the freehold did prohibit the keeping of chickens.

Also, you need to understand that incidental commercial activity in a residential setting is perfectly legal. If incidental commercial activity was prohibited, having so many people working from home wound be a problem. It is only when the scale of such activity would result in disruption to neighbours that it becomes a concern for the planning authorities.

I do appreciate the difference between having increased vehicular traffic and/or increased footfall through a street to a residential premises and taking the odd phone call or using a laptop to access business documents on the internet inside that same premises. It's the same difference as carrying business documents in a briefcase in your car to and from work with social, domestic, and leisure usage insurance and carrying tools or commercial goods in the boot without commercial insurance.

You have just upended centuries of contract law!!!
I admit I am unfamiliar with renting properties and related agreements, but I am familiar with contracts between large organisations, both for commercial and R&D purposes. I'd have been on the project management side both as a client and a supplier. Our legal advisors in both instances would have had the same credo - if it's not in the contract, it doesn't exist; not as a term nor as a condition, not as a deliverable, a responsibility, a penalty, a due date, a working condition or anything else. In other words, what goes in the contract gets measured, other-wise it has no relevance and nothing is ever implied.

Also, you need to understand that incidental commercial activity in a residential setting is perfectly legal. If incidental commercial activity was prohibited, having so many people working from home wound be a problem. It is only when the scale of such activity would result in disruption to neighbours that it becomes a concern for the planning authorities.
I guess the smell of essential oils could be a bit off-putting for some neighbours...

I guess the smell of essential oils could be a bit off-putting for some neighbours...
They might be applying a little too liberally if the neighbours have an issue :D. A typical issue that would give rise to planning intervention is when someone running a child-minding service form their home expands that into more of a daycare service with larger numbers resulting in increased traffic.

I do appreciate the difference between having increased vehicular traffic and/or increased footfall through a street to a residential premises and taking the odd phone call or using a laptop to access business documents on the internet inside that same premises. It's the same difference as carrying business documents in a briefcase in your car to and from work with social, domestic, and leisure usage insurance and carrying tools or commercial goods in the boot without commercial insurance.
Do you now appreciate that there is nothing in legislation prohibiting incidental commercial use of a residential property?

It's the same difference as carrying business documents in a briefcase in your car to and from work with social, domestic, and leisure usage insurance and carrying tools or commercial goods in the boot without commercial insurance.
I don't get this. Are you suggesting SDP policies offer cover for the value of business documents carried in your private car?

Define "incidental commercial use"? Would that include only using the forge outside the garden shed to shoe horses on Thursdays?

SDL cover includes driving to and from work. Some proposal documents ask that specific question. People driving to and from work may carry briefcases or shoulder bags containing business papers they produced or worked on at home. Who values business documents?

Last edited:
Define "incidental commercial use"? Would that include only using the forge outside the garden shed to shoe horses on Thursdays?
You can refer to a dictionary for the definition of incidental. It is the local authority who will decide on whether a commercial use crosses the line from incidental to having an impact upon their neighbours.

SDL cover includes driving to and from work. Some proposal documents ask that specific question. People driving to and from work may carry briefcases or shoulder bags containing business papers they produced or worked on at home. Who values business documents?
I'm trying to understand why you brought that up. SD&P cover, as you state includes driving to and from work. The presence of work related documents or tools in the vehicle does not alter that cover. In the event of a claim, with SD&P cover you are excluded from claiming for the value of any work related items, tools or documents.

Update. Solicitor issued termination letter giving termination date of 28th May (120 days) in January. RTB notified. No response from tenant apart from increase advertising videos taken in house, vouchers, offers. Tried ringing/texting to arrange a time and date for handover of keys, meter reading etc; No response. Second solicitor’s letter issued with threat of legal action. No response so far. We have tried once again to obtain landlord insurance to cover this situtation without success. Does anyone know of any insurance companies which cover these circumstances until we can get the tenant legally evicted which can take a further 3 to 6 months if she does not leave on 28th.

Tenant still refusing to leave and still running business from our property. Challenging legality of eviction noticed issued by our solicitor!!! Says she has somewhere from end of August and will leave then if we stop further action. Reluctantly agreed and hope she keeps her word. Failing that we will have to start legal action to have her evicted. Definitely will not rent again.

Tenant still refusing to leave and still running business from our property. Challenging legality of eviction noticed issued by our solicitor!!! Says she has somewhere from end of August and will leave then if we stop further action. Reluctantly agreed and hope she keeps her word. Failing that we will have to start legal action to have her evicted. Definitely will not rent again.
She may or may not be gone by end of August. I have no doubt she would like to be gone, the situation is entirely of her making still it cannot be pleasant for her, but her plans to move may not work out.

As I understand termination notice has been issued for 28th May so at this point she is overholding. I would hold off on any further action until end August, what can you do in any case. The obvious quid pro quo is that she not challenge the validity of the notice.

After August I would bring pressure to bear. You say she was a friend. Notify all your mutual acquaintances of the situation, tell her customers that she is running a business from a premises without permission etc.

This would worry me if I was the landlord. You may not like what you hear.

Personally I would not allow a tenant to carry out any commercial business from a house. If I found out I would give a notice to stop or the lease would be broken. See what you have written in your contract and if there is a line saying no commercial business allowed. Take a screenshot of the advertisement and date and time it.
From your post above you knew they had a holistic business before they moved in. If you want to keep the tenant then write a letter to the tenant that they need to rent a premises away from the house and not run a business from a residential property. They can rent a place in a salon. If they continue then give notice.

This is a big risk to you if here is a fire or damage. You knew they had a business and they could possibly be using your property.
Your landlord insurance might be void. You may have called the insurers and disclosed this. If the tenant has a fire and the insurers find out that a business was run from the house they may not pay out. The tenant would move on and then you have to find the money to repair it.

The neighbours might complain to your or the Council if her business takes off. You need to apply for change of use to commercial premises and all that includes water rates, land rates etc. There is a cost involved and more than likely the neighbours may refuse.

Do you know if they have insurance? If someone walks in the house and trips while visiting the tenants business they may sue the person but they will definitely will try you if the person does not have insurance. Big headache for you not your tenant.
Running a business out of a private residence is a change of use and contrary to planning (unless you've specific PP for that use), so you are also legally liable for breach of PP conditions. Termination notice might be the only solution.

No, the landlord cannot decide to allow commercial use of a residential property unless the property is rezoned for commercial use by the LA.

And vice versa. Or mixed-use decisions
Even if you are in a "mixed use" zoned area, you STILL have to apply for PP to use a residential unit for business use. And the LA will almost certainly refuse it if you do apply.

I would not wait. You already know it will just delay the situation. She will not find a place. I wonder if she realises her name will appear on Rtb site once you win the case.
Do not do mediation go straight to adjudication. She has already proven mediation will not work.
Your tenant is the type who think that they know better than the law.

Last edited:
You're allowing yourselves to be bullied and I can almost guarantee she won't be gone by the end of August, about 7 weeks away,
What do you suggest we do legally. We have a solicitor who is action on our behalf. We have kept Rental Tenancy Board informed at all stages. The law and RTB rules are very specific. If you know of any other action we can take I would be grateful if you could advise us.

Back