tenant notice period

bb1

I'm an owner occupier and I have a room rented out. He has decided to move out and has paid rent for this month which will cover up his rent until 2 weeks time. We had a verbal agreement that he would be staying until next May. He paid a months deposit when he moved in.
I am unlikely to get a new tentant between now & Christmas.
My question is, am I entitled to a month's notice, so that I will only give back 1/2 his deposit?

Just give him back his deposit and forget about all this crap about legal obligations. Were you ever a tenant?

If he hasnt damaged anything just end the agreement amicably and let him off early with his full deposit. Its not worth the hassle.

Yes I was for many years and shared with plenty of people and the agreement always was a months notice.

So you can understand his point of view, hes been a good tenant, hes paid you rent up until now, just dont end up getting into a messy situation over what, about 200 euros (half a deposit?)

200 euros and the rest considering it will be mid Jan at least before I will get a new tentant.

The fact that it MAY be Jan before you get another tenant is not the current tenants fault and is irrelevant.

I dont think its worth the hassle of 200 euros, you might find a few scrapes on the walls or floor bords etc if you try to keep the 200 euro's off him, I have known of a few tenants who have done this out of spite and have claimed it to be normal wear and tear.

Is it worth it over 200 euro?

I think the point though is that this tenant had originally agreed to stay until May. I've been in similar situations where I held the lease with one other person on a house and we sub-leased the two other rooms in the house. It happened a couple of times that people moved in promising to stay at least a year and then moved out six or eight months later (often leaving in May, when it was most difficult to rent to anyone as we lived near a college and loads of rooms became available in the area around then). It's very frustrating when you take people at their word - at the very least if your agreement was one month's notice and he has paid only for two weeks of that month you should get the remainder of the rent for the notice period. However, a lot depends on whether you had a written or verbal agreement and what was stated in it regarding deposit and notice period and also on how your relationship with the tenant was.

In the meantime, have you advertised on DAFT etc.? You might be lucky and get someone who wants to move straight away, in which case, if he's moved out already but still paid up to the end of the month, you might end up making a profit.

I'd also recommend contacting Threshold and the Private Tenants Rental Board (is that what it's called?).

Janet said:
I'd also recommend contacting Threshold and the Private Tenants Rental Board (is that what it's called?).

:mad: I used to be a tenant for 8 years (in many different places) and never had any problems like this thankfully, people these days are too quick to jump down the legal route over a simple issue.

If you wanted security around his promise of staying the full term you should have written up a contract (but these are still possible to be broken once the agreed notice term is given, which is usually 4 weeks, so either way it all comes back to whether you are willing to go after that 200 euro).

I don't want to go down the legal route but I do have bills to pay like everyone else. It is frustrating when someone does this to you as I obliged the person in lots of ways since he moved in. Why should I be out of pocket while he saunters off?! :)
I will advertise and I do get someone I of course will give back the full deposit, not interested in making a profit, Janet!

SteelBlue05 said:
:mad: I used to be a tenant for 8 years (in many different places) and never had any problems like this thankfully, people these days are too quick to jump down the legal route over a simple issue.

I suggested contacting Threshold (who work on behalf of tenants) and the PRTB (who also were set up mainly to protect the rights of tenants I believe) not as a means of jumping down the legal route but merely so that bb1 could inform him/herself of what the normal entitlement is. I have also been a tenant for many years and still am. I've found Threshold to be invaluable before in situations where I had problems with a landlord and just didn't know what to do. Since then I've always insisted that anywhere I rent, there is a proper written lease in place. It's not an over the top reaction to inform yourself about rights and entitlements in my opinion.

Back