Tenant not paying rent

ohtwo

Hi all,

I have had a tenant in my house for the past 18 months. The house was rented by his employer and in November the employer went into liquidation. Since November I have not received any rent as the tenant claims to be 'stuck' abroad and has no way of paying. (i have no way of proving whether he is in fact abroad or not)

Besides not receiving any rent I am unable to show prospective tenants around the house because his belongings are still in there.

As he claims to be away, is there any point in me sending him notice to vacate the premises, because in theory he wont ever receive this if he is 'away'.

Do I, as landlord, have any rights here at all?
PRTB arent answering my calls, however from past dealings with them I'm not hopeful of getting any information from them.

Thanks

As you let the house out to the employer, you should be dealing directly with him. If he has gone bust, I would post a registered letter to the employers follow on address telling him that you are giving him 1 month to vacate the premises and that any items left in the house at the time of expiration will be either shipped to his address or dumped in the bin.

Either way if you decide to deal with the tennant it is always wise to post a registered letter incase he decides to sue you for loss of property, I would also try and e-mail and keep a copy of that aswel.

You could just follow the advice on the prtb website and if your lease is with the employer, write to their liquidator and cc to the tenant by mail and email, act quickly as it can be a long process...he must have some sort of mail forwarding, if not has he not technically abandoned the premises?

Good luck, terrible situation.

Get some legal advice. If you handle this the wrong way (according to the letter of the law, you could end up losing out big time.

perfect. Thanks.

was just informed yesterday by the letting agent that they have not bee able to contact the tenant for the last number of weeks. He didnt drop any keys back to them and they presume he has done a runner. Problem is he is from outside the country and I can only presume he is not in Ireland. We are going to have to go in now.

I don't rate our chances of getting the two months rent we are owed.

Back