Tenant deposit

eisfspike

Hi All,

I rent a room in my house and have a room rental agreement in place. A tenant wants to move out 3 months into a 12 month lease as they are moving n with their girlfriend. Generally speaking should I withhold their security deposit? It clearly states that it can be withheld in the room agreement if they move out before the expiry of the lease. I have never encountered this situation before and is it the norm that people actually withhold the deposit. The guy has not actually mentioned anything about getting the deposit back so I wonder has he just accepted the loss. He is a nice guy and don't want to appear like the greedy landlord but I have to re advertise the room again and pay daft costs etc etc. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

is it the norm that people actually withhold the deposit.

In general i would say no.

If he has given you enough notice that you can readvertise and find a new tenant so that you are at no loss of rent, I would sort out electricity bills etc then give him back the deposit.

I would swallow the daft costs.

I give the deposits back. No interest in discussions with tenants on the matter. Better not to have bad blood. The cost of DAFT is pretty low. I imagine you'll rent the room pretty quickly given the accommodation crisis.

Perhaps your ex tenant knows someone who wants a room.

There is also a room sharing website. But I don't know the name of it.

In an owner occupied house, all tenants have a legal status of guests and as such can be asked to leave at any time.

That being the case I think it would be fair for your tenants to be able to leave at any time; and so it would not be reasonable to hold back the deposit.

Give it back.

whatever about your rental agreement, if tenant goes further about it, you will be bogged down in paper, admin and possible legal fees. Life is too short for all that!!

Going slightly off piste, any tips on identifying a tenant who will stay long term (provided of course the apartment is in good shape).

I am thinking that if a potential tenant is working on the other side of the city it should be a potential warning sign that they may not last the full lease given traffic conditions etc..

Any other tips from experienced landlords?

Back