Tenant being anti-social

Blarney

I have a tenant who is 14 months in my apt. I've got two neighbours verbal complaints re him banging and playing loud music during the night but he claims its not him and its another tenant. I was taking to the Manage Co about it this week but they told me they dont deal with tenants but now one of the neighbours is treatning legal action. The Gardai were called one night but when I tried to find out from them what happened when they called they said they couldn't speak to me as it was confidential.

What would people feel is that best way to handle this as I have absolutely no proof of him making noise. One of the other apt owners ( one of the two complaining ) is afraid of him slashing her car tyres or worse as he knows she rang the gardai but their is no evidence of this being done by him to any car as far as I am aware.

thanks

If there's a management company the neighbours should complain to the management company who in turn should make contact with you. You are responsible for the behaviour of your tenant, not the management company. You are most likely in breach of your lease by allowing your tenant to behave in a manor in contravention of your lease/development rules.

Tell your neighbours to talk to the management company and not you. This way you will have a detailed log of incidents and will be able to use that against the tenant. At the moment it's verbal so has no standing other than as a warning to you.

It might be worth asking the gardai whether the tenant was behaving in an antisocial manner when they went round, without asking for any details. Considering you can be held liable for any antisocial behaviour by your tenants, I'd have thought you were entitled to at least that piece of information. Make sure you let them know you are the landlord, and are concerned about any repercussions on yourself.

I suggest that you write to the neighbours saying that you understand that they have some concerns about X, ask them can they please let you know if this is so, and if it is the case what exactly are these concerns.

If they respond then you can approach the tenant, softly and say that you have been told that they were playing loud music late on such and such a night, and would they just think of the neighbours. Keep the conversation light, you can agree that the neighbours here generally are frightful old complainers if that keeps the conversation friendly.

Then write to the tenant, thank them for the conversation and for agreeing to be more considerate of the neighbours. No specific details.

Write to the guards, ask them if there is anything you should be aware of.

This way, if the issue does not go away by itself, these things often do, you will be able to show that you have taken steps to resolve matters.

If there is a real problem, the sooner you know about it the better.

Medium term, you need a better tenant.

Back