Tenant and letting agent

Simoneelouise

Hello I currently rent a property in Northern Ireland. My previous tenant has vacated the property and is in breach of contract. They have damaged my property, stolen fixtures and fittings. I do have an agent involved with a tenancy agreement in place, unfortunately I feel my agent has not dealt with all issues properly.
My agents are now telling me I cannot pursue the previous tenant for items lost, stolen or damaged even though they have an inventory report before the previous tenants moved in. The agents have removed certain items out of my house without my permission and told me they were damaged no photographic proof of these. I have been informed that it is my responsibility to pay for the reletting fee, in the agents contract it clearly states the previous tenant will pay. All work undertaken on my house is complete but received no invoice from the agent. However my house is relet now the new tenant has paid 4 months rent in advance I have not seen a penny of this as the agents have taken it upon themselves to pay the contractors without my consent and have not sent me a final invoice showing all costs. I have repeatedly asked for the invoice on several occassions but my words seem to be falling on deaf ears. It is my house after all and I am entitled to see who my money has been paid to. Can an agent pay a contractor monies for work undertaken without seeing an invoice and without notifying myself.
It appears to me that the Short Hold Tenancy Agreement is only in place to grab the landlord by the bollocks to make sure they adhere to the tenancy agreement and gives the tenant rights to destroy, steal or damage your prooerty. I think these agreements should be revised by someone to protect both parties and not protect the guilty.
Can someone help me please.

I would think that UK law applies in this case; this is a Republic of Ireland site and the regulations on tenancies vary significantly.

I'd suggest ditching your agent and managing the property yourself.

NI is governed by UK, whilst there are some divergences, UK law will apply in the main.

In any event, I think your issue is with the letting agent and that hinges on your signed contract with the agent.

Last edited:
OP so sorry to hear your story, I think I would be seeking legal advice as there is so much money Involved here.

Back