Ten per cent pay cut

glasto

My husband earns about 42k as a fork lift driver for a private construction firm. They have had a few lay offs ( people took voluntary redundancy) and the whole team was on temprary redundancy for a few weeks in the winter, but work has been steady enough since then. Anyway, today the boss has told them that they will all need to take a 10% pay cut. We've been kind of expecting it and have budgeted accordingly, but would appreciate it if someone can calculate how much less this will be per month - I assume you don't just take a straight 10% off as there are different tax rates, and allowances etc? Is there a website that works this stuff out for you? And should they be doing anything to protect themselves, as I am concerned that the boss will just keep cutting their wage and they will have no redress. Any advice much appreciated.

I agree its a lot. He certainly wasn't earning that in London, and he gets holiday and sick pay here too. That does include overtime though.

He's just asked me to point out he does a hell of a lot more than fork lift driving too. :)

10%pay cut is based on take home pay as wages are based and budgeted for 12 months by employers dont know of any web site that does this try [email protected] thats all i can think of

Glasto

Hi Glasto, The wage cut is 10% of his hourly rate. Ie. if your Husband is on an hourly rate of €20 per hour the amount of the cut is €2 per hour
X total hours worked per week, less normal deductions.

Back