Temporary rehabilitation remuneration

Doodlemoll

Hi
I' would appreciate any advice.I am 56 and on D rate and have 36 years fulltime service. I am currently on sick leave and have been on half pay for the last 3 months and will be moving to TRR soon. TRR is at pension rate pay. What does this mean for me will it be calculated over 36 years. When I am fit enough to return to work and if I opt to reurn on a shorter working week would this be a disadvantage in that Would my pension at retirement be calculated on my final years salary.

You’ll get added years which may bring you up to half pay ie 40/80ths. Your pension is always calculated on full time equivalent salary but you’d only get a proportion of 1/80th for the calculation. 21/35 hours would give 60% of 1/80th of final salary for pension and multiply that by 3 for lump sum

Thanks. Would the added years relate to the time I would spend on TRR?. I am hoping that I will be in a position to return to work after a few months on TRR. Just not so sure if having been on sick leave for 6 months how I will cope with returning to a full time week of 37 hours.

To address your original question, your TRR will be calculated on the years you have served. Time on TRR will not count towards your pension. If you return to work at, say, working half time, your service after your return, will also be halved. Your final salary will not be changed unless you change jobs or receive increments. Your final salary will be the annual rate for the post. Your reduced working hours will reduce the pension pro rata.
It is not a given that you will receive added years. Medical certs and Occupational Health will determine this. It's not easy given.

Thanks all for replying. I expect to receive an appointment with occupational health assessor soon. I have 36 years service. I am thinking If I return to work fulltime for 4 years it will bring me to 40 years service.Or If I work for 8 years at half time say mornings only will I then be able to retire on a full pension.

Thanks all for replying. I expect to receive an appointment with occupational health assessor soon. I have 36 years service. I am thinking If I return to work fulltime for 4 years it will bring me to 40 years service.Or If I work for 8 years at half time say mornings only will I then be able to retire on a full pension.
Yes, correct. Good luck with the appointment.

Thanks. that's the next step.
As TRR does not count for pension purposes and supposing that if following the occupational medical I do go on TRR for a number of weeks will I get an option to pay additional contributions to make up for the time spent on TRR

There’s no way to pay extra for the time spent on TRR. You could potentially buy notional service or take out an AVC but if you are on reduced hours that may put you in the low tax bracket which reduces the incentive to pay anything additional towards retirement benefits

That's good to know that I could potentially buy notional service for the time (If any) I spend on TRR. I am not considering AVC I am in the lower tax bracket already. Following the occupational health review I will know if its recommended that I go on TRR or back to work. Hopefully I will be able to build up some more service

Deedlemoll, you have 36 years service. All you need is another 4 years service to qualify for full pension. Although not a given that you are entitled to added service if you are retiring on grounds of ill health. I would be prepared to bet that you will have no difficulty in receiving the added service (on medical grounds). Your age matters too. I don't know your illness and I have no medical qualifications and therefore am only offering an experienced learned opinion.

Purchase of 4 years notional service is not cheap (and I reckon it is not necessary in your case - you're talking 4/80th of your salary in pension payment). So tread carefully and have written terms provided before you decide on anything.

Just a Thought:- You may have had more service e.g. working as an attendant or official in the years (or summers) before you were appointed to your current position. You may be entitled for this service to be added to your 36 years.

Thanks for the advice its great to get the wider perspective and has given me plenty food for thought. It may be that unpaid maternity leave and unpaid parental leave which I would have taken in the past could be included in the buying notional service option.

The latest update is, I have had the occupational review and the suggestion is I now go on TRR for a short time. The TRR being offered seems to be half pay and calculated at the full pension rate i.e 40 years. Looking at going on TRR for couple of months max with a view to a phased return to work early in New year.

Hi there, sorry for bumping an old thread. Just curious - does TRR actually "come out" of your pension, or is it just an equivalent pension rate of pay as if you were to retire right now? Asking HR, they are saying "it comes out of your pension", but everything online seems to conflict with that?

Yes, it's very difficult to get a satisfactory answer to this. Mrs Slim is in the process of retiring after a period on TRR. I could see a situation where actual pension could be reduced by the amount by which TRR exceeded actual pension entitlement but that has not been explained as of yet. I will report back as soon as we know.

Hi @Slim did you ever hear back about this in the end? Seems TRR actually comes "out" of the pension entitlement (ie. 2 years on TRR reduces your potential pension by 2 years) from everything we've read?

Seems TRR actually comes "out" of the pension entitlement (ie. 2 years on TRR reduces your potential pension by 2 years) from everything we've read?
Another worstening of PS workers terms and conditions that the unions allowed in without a whimper. This wasn't highlighted when TRR was first introduced and has significant implications for those afflicted with long term illness.

Hope your illness improves. - have you income protection insurance ?

Income protection has its own issues too unfortunately. Doesn't pay the full protection amount until TRR kicks in, and the TRR application can take months :(

Another worstening of PS workers terms and conditions that the unions allowed in without a whimper. This wasn't highlighted when TRR was first introduced and has significant implications for those afflicted with long term illness.

So is that true then @Threadser ? TRR is taken out of pension? If so, that means two years on TRR, reduces your pension by 4 years in total right? 2 years of money taken out of your pension and 2 years of less entitlements as you've been not earning during those years?

Back