Motor Temporary car insurance needed

Gabrielle

Hi just wondering if anyone knows if temp car insurance is available in Ireland?
I need to get my NCT done on a car I am selling but it isn't insured. My current insurer will not add it as it hasn't been insured for more than 2 months.
Any ideas? Not going to risk driving it to NCT centre without insurance.

You will need to get it towed there.

There are no temporary insurance providers in Ireland.

Hi just wondering if anyone knows if temp car insurance is available in Ireland?
I need to get my NCT done on a car I am selling but it isn't insured. My current insurer will not add it as it hasn't been insured for more than 2 months.

Why not get a mate, who is insured to drive "other cars, as long as they do not belong to him" to drive it there?

A lot of policies offer this cover, or suchlike.

Some policies may provide for "driving other cars". Check, check and then check again to ensure anyone driving your car in those circumstances is covered

But, does the 'other' car not have to be an insured vehicle in it's own right? As mathepac said-Check check!

But, does the 'other' car not have to be an insured vehicle in it's own right? As mathepac said-Check check!

That's my understanding of driving other cars.

My policy allows a temp change of car once it's less than 30 days but my own car becomes uninsured. I'd only consider doing this so long as my own car is under lock and key.

Not with any policy I ever had, anyway, generally it is a person that is insured to drive a particular car/cars and not a car that is insured per say.

If the certificate of insurance says your covered that is good enough for the law.

I was kinda hoping to dissuade people from operating from their personal understandings or general observations. Ask your insurer, not your broker, and ask them the tell you which specific endorsement or clause in your personal policy covers you to do this.

I find the above quote condescending in the extreme and tantamount to an insult.
I do not need you to be "kinda hoping to dissuade people (me) from operating from their personal understandings or general observations", when I can see and read the relevant information in black and white on my policy.
Therefore I would assume that a person of reasonable intelligence could do the same and if still not sure, would then check with their insurers, without somebody patronisingly telling me/them to do so.

The DOC (Driving Other Cars) extension doesn't require that the car driven is already insured, Sparkrite is right as is Time. What it says on the certificate applies. However, a general condition of a policy is also that the car be in a roadworthy condition, so you must be reasonably sure this is the case, unless you are a mechanic you can't know this as a certainty and no insurer will quibble about that, but it must not obviously be a hazard.

My current insurer will not add it as it hasn't been insured for more than 2 months.

I take it you have insurance on another car from what you say?

If so, it should be straightforward to transfer the cover to the other car for a temporary period (1 day for example): this is done all the time.

Thanks for all the responses. Yes I do have insurance on my other car, however, as stated originally, the car that needs its NCT has not been insured for over 2 months now. The insurance company will not re-insure it as they say they only allow a 30 day break. Wish I had known about this before I transferred the insurance to my new car.

Just ring you insurance co and tell them you want temporay cover for 24hrs. This is done all of the time by garages that give customers a loan of a car while their own is for service.
I had to get this temp cover done last week for this reason. Rang FBD, told them the circumstance, value and milage of "loan" car and duration. Cost nothing, all done in about 3mins on the phone.

yeah the problem here Tired Paul is that the insurance company know the car belongs to the OP as he previously insured it with them. Unusual but some companies won't do transfers like that.

Thanks for all the responses. Yes I do have insurance on my other car, however, as stated originally, the car that needs its NCT has not been insured for over 2 months now. The insurance company will not re-insure it as they say they only allow a 30 day break. Wish I had known about this before I transferred the insurance to my new car.

I think we're at cross purposes here, confusing cars: it should be possible to do a temporary transfer from your "new" car to the "old" car (i.e. the one requiring the NCT) for a few hours. Temporary transfers are done all the time.

I don't think there should be an issue with the fact you still own the old car: from my experiance they rarely if ever would even ask who owns the car to which cover is being transferred temporarily: normally they just look for make/model/reg/value.

Back