Telescopes

J

Joe Nonety

Anyone know anywhere in Ireland that sells good telescopes?
The ones in argos aren't very good.

They say that if you're a beginner you're probably better spending your money on a good pair of binoculars.

Ok thanks.
I see telescopes in Ireland are about 2 to 3 times their price in the US.

And what with the light pollution in the east and south, equally useless.

Astronomy Ireland is worth looking at.

Well they certainly sell telescopes. As for being 'worth looking at' - I would have to disagree. The mark up is simply outrageous.

Lidl were doing a fantastic telescope about this time last year. Equitorial mount and everything, all for about €70.
[broken link removed] have links to telescope suppliers.

(BTW, keep your eyes open for aurora. There's meant to be a fine display over the next few days. Telescope not required.)

ALDI have them since 4 Nov

Spec (means nothing to me)

Reflector Telescope €59.99
Search the skies with this fantastic reflector telescope. • 76mm spherical mirror • 700mm focal length • 262x maximum magnification • 6 x 25mm finderscope • 3 x 31.7mm eye pieces, 20mm, 12.5mm and 4mm • Full length aluminium tripod with AG Azimuth mount and accessory tray • Two space maps and CD Rom astronomical guide • Instruction manual • Complete in smart carry case.

Murt

76mm spherical mirror

Probably not as good as lidl's refractor telescope was. Their binoculars look pretty good though.

This telescope review website seems to have a lot of info. I would be reluctant buy a telescope for €70 as I suspect you'd see as much looking up a bulls This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language. If the budget is small a decent pair of binoculars might be better.

With my €70 telescope I've seen four of Jupiter's moons, Saturn's rings and many stars which I wouldn't have a hope of seeing unaided.

The clouds are the main drawback.

Thanks for the advice. I've opted for Orion SkyQuest XT6 Dobsonian Reflector Telescope for $239 from Amazon.com which I'm getting someone to ship over to Ireland.
God knows how much the duty will be.

How much for telescopes that get rid of clouds???

How much for telescopes that get rid of clouds???

Would your budget extend to $1.5 Billion? Mightn't get rid of clouds, but certainly gets around them:
[broken link removed]

(Or you could just download the pictures :D )

LIDL
Offers from Monday, 22.11. - Republic of Ireland

Computer Telescope
Versatile, high resolution telescope, Magnification: 14x - 262, 5x, Lens diameter: 70mm, focal length: 350mm (with 3x Barlow lens: 1050mm), 3 eyepieces, remote Control, Price per item E169.00

Refractor Telescope
Technical Data: Focal length: 700mm, objective diameter : 70mm, Magnification: 35x - 175x, aluminium tripod, Equatorial mount, Astronomy Software and Star Navigator on CD, Price per item E59.99 *

I see Lidl in Moore Street/Parnell Street (new Jury's Inn block) is opening next week. Got a flyer in the door including information about [broken link removed].

Back