Telephone cables - cost to remove

Nicetoknow

I recently bought a 100 year old house on a street in Dublin. I have a 5 metre deep front garden.

My neighbours telephone cable runs through my front garden ( diagonally from a telephone pole on the pavement and quite low ). There are also cables for my house but they are no longer in use.

The old cables make the place looks (more) run down and id like to know how I might get them removed my neighbours cables run along the public street and into their house rather than through my property.

Thanks in advance.

They could charge anything. Do you need pole moved?
Somewhere between 1,000 and 4,000, if they do it. You'll need to contact Eir plant alterations with details to get an idea.
[broken link removed]

Thanks, I'm not sure if pole would need to be moved....I certainly don't need it moved. I just want their cables off my property but I can see it probably is 'll the same to them. Thanks for link, I'll call them and report back!

Might be worth pausing and talking to neighbours first. Wouldn't give a great first impression if the first thing you do is potentially upset the neighbours. Might be worth framing the question in terms of tidying up the front of the house and asking if the cables could be raised or perhaps re-configured as you don't use them.

Might be worth pausing and talking to neighbours first. Wouldn't give a great first impression if the first thing you do is potentially upset the neighbours. Might be worth framing the question in terms of tidying up the front of the house and asking if the cables could be raised or perhaps re-configured as you don't use them.

The cables run through the neighbours to the left as well....servicing my neighbours to right. It was actually the neighbours to left that highlighted to me that maybe we should try to do something about the cables.

I think the neighbours to right might welcome something being done about cables since they have been accidentally been 'taken down' twice by removal vans and a fallen tree. It's just a daft messy set up. It just comes down to who would pay for the work I guess!

If there is nothing in wayleave can you say they have no right to run cable?
I don't believe they needed wayleave prior to 2002. So any existing cables won't need wayleave. However, they'd need your permission if it was necessary to access your property to make any repairs for your neighbours.

Sounds like I'm stuck with the eyesore so...not worth paying thousands to rectify it's 600 for them to come out and do the survey alone!

Nicetoknow ---------- did you make any progress with the cables?Im in the exact same position with a new property.

Back