TEFL

ophelia

Does anybody know about the various courses available in order to train in TEFL? Do you have to have a teaching qualification in order to start training?

The best is the CELTA. This is a full-time one month course. The only places in Ireland that do it are UCC and the Language Centre of Ireland http://www.lci.ie/html/teacher.html The UCC one usually takes place in June and the LCI one has one coming up from 14 November - 09 December 2005 at a cost of €1300. You don't need a teaching qualification but there are interviews I think.
You can find a TEFL course to fit any budget or with any time commitment. Obviously a weekend course isn't as good as a month long etc.
There are millions of other ones you can find by googling. The RELSA is I think the one that's specifically for Ireland. The CELTA is recognised internationally as being of a very high standard.

Thanks, but a university degree is one of the criteria for entry on the CELTA course. I have a nursing qualification RGN which was gained by the old hospital apprenticeship method - (long hours, hard work and little thanks). Same registration standard as the nursing degree students nowadays but can't use the words B.Sc Nursing after my name.

Isn't there talk of giving people in your situation honorary degrees?
How serious are you about getting the CELTA? If you wanted to go abroad this site lists all the places that do it by country: [broken link removed] Perhaps some places are less stringent in their entry requirements? If you just want a bit of a backup while travelling rather than taking TEFL on as a career I'm sure any of the other courses would be grand.

Back