TEFL : Experiences good or bad ?

Perplexed

Apologies if this is elsewhere but all a search reveals are details of courses.

Just wondering if anyone has ever done this & if the experience was enjoyable.

I guess you mean is teaching good or bad?

Good: very rewarding when students learn what you want them to, generally TEFL teachers are nice, easy going and very supportive of each other, it's a quite low pressure, relaxed industry, flexible hours

Bad: badly paid, not a very prestigious job, too much of it could do your head in!

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.
I'm interested in improving my fluency in Spanish & thought this may be a good way to live abroad & earn my keep while doing so.
All the TEFL colleges make it sound very appealing but I wondered what the reality is.

Can be badly paid in Spain, I believe, probably best to go with a well known language school such as IH.

Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe · TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, ... Advertise at Dave's ESL Cafe in 2008. E-mail Dave Sperling by clicking Here! ...
www.eslcafe.com/ - 53k - Cached - Similar pages

This website has a lot of forums and info that might help you.

If you enjoy it, it's really a great way to see the world.
I've done it in France, Austria, Ireland, Japan and loved the experience.
If you hate it, there's always barwork!

Good forum on and lots of job offers there too,
enjoy

If you stay away from the large cities in Spain it is much cheaper to live. The food, people and quality of life in Spain is fantastic.

When I taught in Spain the money wasn't great but I always had enough to live and do whatever I wanted. If you want to earn more money, you can teach in a school and then do private classes in the evenings and weekends. It really was a fantastic way to see Spain and learn the language.

Ruam

Thanks so much for all the advice. Really appreciate it.The money isn't so much an issue. I just want to take a career break & see what other possibilities are out there.

A bit cheesed off of the 9 to 5 grind. I'm in banking which is becoming more & more pressurized & will probably get worse as this recession deepens. A nice lifestyle is more important to me now than how much I earn.

Back