TEFL Course: Any Officially Internationally recognised

Plek Trum

Hi all,

thinking of combining work and travel plans and exploring the idea of teaching abroad next year. I'm looking into completing a TEFL course to widen my employment propsects.

There are many schools in Ireland offering courses but I cannot locate any International standard details to see which courses are better for International work and travel.

Does anyone have any info that may be of help?
Courses vary widely from 2days to 140+ hours (classroom and online), all claiming to offer qualification etc...

Many thanks!

Ideally do a TEFL course that will lead onto an international recognised qualification, such as Cambridge exams. I think most teaching establishments want to see more than a TEFL course. Many also like to have a degree background in something.

I have a voucher for the 120 hour TEFL course from TEFL express. This includes the TKT (Teaching Knowledge Test) preparation for Cambridge exams [broken link removed]

Haven't actually started the course yet as not enough time, and wopn't be doing it specifically to teach, rather than develop skills i can use in my current job.

Hi all,

thinking of combining work and travel plans and exploring the idea of teaching abroad next year. I'm looking into completing a TEFL course to widen my employment propsects.

There are many schools in Ireland offering courses but I cannot locate any International standard details to see which courses are better for International work and travel.

Does anyone have any info that may be of help?
Courses vary widely from 2days to 140+ hours (classroom and online), all claiming to offer qualification etc...

Many thanks!

Have you looked into the Distance DELTA? You can do most of the course from anywhere and the fees aren't that high.
Google Distance Delta.

Hi Plek Trum,

I'm a TEFL teacher and I will be moving abroad to work soon.

The majority of jobs require a CELTA or Trinity qualification. I completed the CELTA, it is not easy, but it definitely does qualify you to work for most of the teaching jobs here and abroad. (it involves a lot of teaching practice)

You can do a intensive 4 week course, or a part time year course.

A DELTA is the next step up from the CELTA, and this will allow you to command a slightly higher salary and opens more doors for work.

If you google "tefl jobs" or "esl jobs", you will see the CELTA is generally a requirement "minimum".

All the best,

Back