TEETU Dispute with the Electrical Contractors (REA's etc)

Re: NEETU Eletricians Dispute (Eamon Devoy on Joe Duffy)

You stand corrected, at the last session in the Labour court in Feb 09 , the claim was ultimately rejected. The other problem here is , whilst the TEEU are only recognising two Employer bodies ie ECA & AECI, there is in fact a 3rd Body , namely NECI. NECI which was only formed over the last year or so have in fact many more members than the combined membership of ECA & AECI. It was NECI that took out the court injunction to put a stop to the increase which forced it back to the Labour court last february. Should ECA & AECI come to an agreement with TEEU, to which NECI is opposed to, they will simply go back to the High court and take out an injunction. At the moment TEEU are ignoring the elephant in the room, whilst they continue to ignore the existence of NECI.

Secman

Are you confident that is all accurate secman? Didn't know anything about this myself.

Somewhat disingenuous then to say they they are 'owed increases' - they didn't get increases that they wanted, more like.

Heard Devoy on Pat Kenny show this morning.

He ended the interview by saying ,your companys are closed and will remain closed untill we say so..

I despair...has he thought about the consequences of this.

Meanwhile those who are on protective notice who are already pinned to the collar financially are even more concerned about how to pay their morgages etc.

According to IBEC many companies will now have to close.

This kind of talk from Devoy will have devastating consequences for many.

The increase was originally sanctioned by ECA & AECI in early 2008, but NECI took out the court injunction to stop it and it ultimately went back to the Labour court in february 2009, at which time the Construction Industry was spiralling downwards and the ECA & AECI withdrew their agreement to the increase as the Labour market and ecomony had substantially changed for the worst. At the Feb 09 hearing of the Labour court, the increase was NOT ratified. This is a recorded fact. Also to say that there are many many electricians still working, this is not based on hearsay, I know this factually, and many of them are TEEU members who were NEVER balloted on this strike. I question the 93% support rate for the strike as in 93% of what ??

Secman

Last edited:

companies are looking for excuses to pull out of here.... The unions are going to finish off this country. Some guys at the top seem to be actaully revelling in this dispute citing huge success by having people out on strike and the very real possibilty of directly forcing more on the dole.
You'd say soemthing if the grip was with company A and company A was closed but the companies that are shut can do nothing about this situation. And dont give me this b%llox that its the contractors that have places shut down because they are not meeting demands.

Well I think a lot of people would like to know the answer to that one!

Many companies pay more than the 21.49e as well travel etc.

With Devoy saying on Pat Kenny today that ,your buisnness are closed and will stay closed untill we say so,one wonders what the chances are of a resolution now..

I feel so sorry for the workers in the companys who are being put on protective notice, it must be a scary time for time.

What do they mean by secondary striking at Diageo and Cadburys?
Are there no electricians working on these sites at the moment?

I just googled the term ,meaning of secondary striking,and from what I gather this would be the meaning...

The present strike is over a pay increase to electricians who work for a contractor.So if there are no contractors electricians on site,and the site was picketed then it would be a secondary picket,IMHO..open to correction on it.

They placed pickets on those sites because there were contracted electricians working there. It's called a secondary picket because the dispute is not directly with Diageo or Cadburys but rather with the contractors who employ the electricians. Diageo argued that this was illegal and that pickets should only be placed at the electricians place of employment. I think most people would have sympathy for their position. I wouldn't mind but this is a company that is looking for any excuse to move brewing operations out of this Country.

I think Devoy is a loose cannon and doesn't have the full support of Congress. Not just on this issue either.

It's telling that this strike hasn't exactly had the ringing endorsement of Congress, just that it will be discussed. I think ICTU is more than aware of how this strike affects their position and is going to look to the public.

The mantra of protecting the most vulnerable members of society is diluted if people on over €20/hour are now classed as vulnerable.

I think I heard Begg on the radio yesterday with a very wishy washy statement about "we're there to protect the interests of our members". The implication (from the context it was given in) was that sometimes, even when they do not agree with their members, if that's the majority view it is their remit to represent that view. Again, hardly a ringing endorsement for the action.

I think Devoy is a loose cannon and doesn't have the full support of Congress. Not just on this issue either.

It's telling that this strike hasn't exactly had the ringing endorsement of Congress, just that it will be discussed. I think ICTU is more than aware of how this strike affects their position and is going to look to the public.

The mantra of protecting the most vulnerable members of society is diluted if people on over €20/hour are now classed as vulnerable.

I think I heard Begg on the radio yesterday with a very wishy washy statement about "we're there to protect the interests of our members". The implication (from the context it was given in) was that sometimes, even when they do not agree with their members, if that's the majority view it is their remit to represent that view. Again, hardly a ringing endorsement for the action.
[broken link removed]

The president of ICTU has pledged his support this morning

[broken link removed]

The president of ICTU has pledged his support this morning

Yup, but David Begg (General Secretary) called for it to go through the NIB, which is not an endorsement of the strike (and as close as you'll get to an actual condoning) and is a nice way of avoiding having to say whether or not they support the action.

The opening address of the President of ICTU at a conference is not the same thing.

They placed pickets on those sites because there were contracted electricians working there. It's called a secondary picket because the dispute is not directly with Diageo or Cadburys but rather with the contractors who employ the electricians. Diageo argued that this was illegal and that pickets should only be placed at the electricians place of employment. I think most people would have sympathy for their position. I wouldn't mind but this is a company that is looking for any excuse to move brewing operations out of this Country.

From what I heard on the rte report ,there were NO contracted electrians on those sites.

BTW, the President is Patricia McKeown.

And when asked about how she felt about companies who were nothing to do with the strike being affected,McKeown said on newstalk that ,this was about solidarity..and the strong looking after the weak..
Oh BROTHER!!:p

From what I heard on the rte report ,there were NO contracted electrians on those sites.

I thought they mentioned that on RTE news last night also - that there were no contracted electricians presently on site at Diageo.

Yup, but David Begg (General Secretary) called for it to go through the NIB, which is not an endorsement of the strike (and as close as you'll get to an actual condoning) and is a nice way of avoiding having to say whether or not they support the action.

The opening address of the President of ICTU at a conference is not the same thing.

David Begg and Jack O'Connor are speaking this afternoon so it will be interesting to see if they refer to it but O'Connor has already supported it.

Unions are suppose to go with the majority, but pickets, especially secondary picket take away a persons democratic rights because it involves others that have nothing to do with the dispute, and have had no say or vote in the original dispute. This is a power the union should not have. There are a lot of companies that employ tradesmen and will not allow a union on site. Sometimes unions are require though, because a lot of employers begin to make their own rules e.g. not pay overtime rates or require employers to actually work overtime for nothing. (it has happened to me)
As regards the current dispute, I wrongly thought (I stand to be corrected) that the increase had already been agreed to, in this case it would have been the same as a breach of contract, and why should they not get it? Also a lot of contractor’s persons are sub contractors, where the main contract company takes a cut from their rate that is charged to the parent company. If this had been agreed the contractor should have had this rate budgeted into the price and not claim their inability to pay.

Roker,

The increase was originally sanctioned by ECA & AECI in early 2008, but NECI took out the court injunction to stop it and it ultimately went back to the Labour court in february 2009, at which time the Construction Industry was spiralling downwards and the ECA & AECI withdrew their agreement to the increase as the Labour market and ecomony had substantially changed for the worst. At the Feb 09 hearing of the Labour court, the increase was NOT ratified. This is a recorded fact. Also to say that there are many many electricians still working, this is not based on hearsay, I know this factually, and many of them are TEEU members who were NEVER balloted on this strike. I question the 93% support rate for the strike as in 93% of what ??

Secman Today 11:09 AM

Back