Technical issue

Rujib

Hi,

I have applied for a mortgage to a well known Irish bank. I happen to be listed as a director of my employers company. I do not have any shareholding whatsoever, I am just a named director, so I can handle certain legal transactions on behalf of the company, as all other directors reside abroad.
The bank however, insist on me giving them copies of past 3 years audited accounts, before they finalize my application!!!

I simply cannot understand the logic. Can anyone enlighten me?

R

Yes! I still do not fully understand the requirement for me to submit full 3 years accounts as it is not my company.
My relationship with my employer is as a PAYE employee!!

T

Hi Rujib, do you have an indemnity from the other directors as regards potential issues that might arise from company dealings? If not, then you are a director with all the duties and responsibilities that go with that. And that is why the bank want the accounts. Maybe time to take a look at whether you really should have accepted the directorship?

I think you may find that being a company director has more responsibilities than you realise.

give them a CRO search showing the shareholding and a letter on headed paper letting them know you are named only and not a shareholder at all.

they may feel that as a director that the firms survival and your job prospects are highly correlated, for instance - if you are a only a 'named director' of a software firm and are the software architect as well then they might want to look as much at the company as they will you.

is there a reason you are not willing to comply with their request? the co. accountant could probably clear this up with a phone call, see if that will work or try to find out why they are asking, the underwriters will let you know the reason.

Hi Rujib,
I think that since you dont have more than a 5% shareholding that you dont need to submit company accounts and that a salary cert as a PAYE employee would suffice. I think this is a case of the mortgage being packaged and submitted incorrecly to the underwriter.
I think you need to contact your bank to confirm your employment details i.e you are a permanent employee and dont receive any dividends etc.
Spin
Mortgage Broker

Rujib, if you have been with the company for at least 5 years and show a salary on you P60's covering your required loan, then there is no reason for the bank to see the company accounts especially given the fact that you are a non shareholder. I have experience with banks requesting this information only for their own benefit and not concerning you - the loan requester. Banks will ask you what you had for breakfast and if you tell them they have more information.......... On one occasion my husband was looking for a top up mortgage (he runs his own limited company and is 100% shareholder), the bank requested his accounts. I argued that he is an employee and produced a P60 along with a letter confirming his years service in the company - Guess what - it was accepted. I believe the banks should only get the information needed to confirm your ability to repay no more and no less.

I applied for a mortgage last year and at the time I was a director(16.66% share holding) of a company.
I went through good old REA(RIP) and as long as I was below a certain share holding(20% I think) and was PAYE paid(not based on company profits) that there was no problem and there wasn't.
But that was UB and I'm sure different banks might have there only variations.

Back