Teacher Returning home after 20 years abroad: job advice

marylou

Hi everyone
Will be returning to Ireland next year after close to 20 years abroad. Single when I left! but returning with 2 young kids, divorced after 15 years of marriage. Am going loco trying to anticipate all that needs to be done to set up life again, but main concern is work. Have H.Dip in English and German, but haven't used the German is all the years abroad. Spent those years in ESL. But what are the chances of getting any kind of school work outside of Dublin - too expensive to set up there - for an oul one of 44!!???? Alternatively am willing to look at any other kind of work, but again, how much is the age factor going to come into it?? Any ideas of best counties to head for?? Am thinking Westmeath or Laois.
Would much appreciate anyone taking time to offer suggestions or advice. Many thanks. Marylou

Re: Returning home:job advice

is the HDip in Education? - if so teaching could be an option.

Thanks Nelly for replying.
Yes, my Dip. is in English and German. I'm wondering what sub./temp. work would be available for that combination of subjects, and which parts of the country would be best. Also : the age factor, and the fact that I haven't taught in Ireland since doing the Dip. Is this a problem?? Have looked online, but see very little advertised in the teaching field.
Thanks.
Marylou

http://www.educationposts.com/ is the only thing and also keep an eye out on the national press for these things. You could try teaching evening courses run by VEC'c - you could get the temping admin kinda role while you did this in the afternoons maybe. Also there definately is money to be made in LC hon's english grinds. other than that i am of no use.

Hi Marylou
I am in a very similar situation to you. Divorced with a child after many years of living abroad and returning to Ireland...also a teacher. I wouldn't discount your teaching experience abroad. There is a form available from the Dept of Ed with information on how you can get credit for teaching experience abroad..some of it may apply to you. As a primary teacher I expect most of my years abroad to be credited..this allows you to go in on a higher point on the teacher salary scale. You ned to get that form stamped by the schools you worked in so try to do it before you come back. There is a demand in many areas for experienced EFL teachers because of the influx of migrants. You may find work in that area. Don't undersell yourself!

Thanks again Nelly and Dubai. I'll get cracking on your suggestions.
At the moment am burnt out with the teaching, and would look at anything else that gave me half-way decent money and flexibility of hours,to spend with the kids as they adjust to things.
Dubai, if you've any other advice re settling back, please let me know.
Cheers
Marylou

Marylou
I won't actually be moving back for a while, my son is at a crucial stage in his education and I can't really move him for two years. I am busily preplanning and researching so that I can make the transition as smooth as possible. I have just bought an apartment in Dublin...will have a huge mortgage but felt it was an important step. Have really only being researching employment in teaching. Jobs seem to be available but as they are advertised very late in the year June, July and August, it means that you can't secure a job before you come home...I will have to resign from my current job and then come home in June...that's a bit intimidating when you have dependants and very little cash. I have been reassured by teacher friends that there is a steady demand for teachers, a lot of one year fulltime jobs available. I will take what I can get!

Hi Dubai
We're in the same boat!! The earliest I can return will be end of May next year. But one problem is where to stay while I look for jobs. May have to pass myself around the family. Where are most teaching jobs to be found, do you know? I think Dub. is too expensive to live in, but is that where the teaching jobs are? Where we end up living will be dictated by where the jobs are, unfortunately, as given the choice I don't want to resettle in Dublin. ( and me born and raised there!) I have seen virtually nothing advertised online for Secondary English teachers . I'd be happy enough with subbing for a while. Feel overwhelmed with all the hurdles to be overcome, and the thoughts of trying to support the kids alone during their school years. Enough to have me hitting the bottle! or Prozac, if I could get my hands on some!! Do you think age 44 puts me out of the employable teaching age?
Again, any advice welcomed.
Many thanks
Marylou

Hi Marylou
I don't think that you will see anything posted on line. My information is that most of the jobs are advertised during the summer and you have to be available for interview almost immediately (one week's notice)..a friend who returned last year did her interview at the beginning of September and started the next day. I am counting on jobs being available in the population growth areas on the edges of the north city as that is where I have bought an apartment but I know that people are commutting from as far away as Kikenny so I assume the schools there are growing. I am Dublin born as well so couldn't bring myself to buy too far out! There is a new census report just out...might be worth consulting to look at population growth areas! As for being 44...you are only a young one. I am 47! There are anti age dicrimination laws here that work in our favour! I honestly don't think that's a problem!

Hi Mary Lou

Sorry to interupt you guys,

Mary Lou you appear very concerned with your age, I can assure you that this will not matter one iota to your prospective employers.

I would reccommend that you write down all the pro's for employing you and repeat them to yourself daily! as you will def. undersell yourself with your current feelings, propsepective employers run a mile from people who might undersell themselves.
Working abroad is a huge advantage to any future employers for many reasons, why not sit down and write out these positives, you will be surprised at the soothing effect this will have.

Maybe you could teach for the first year until you are settled and then look for something but be careful as its easy to fall into a rut and not bother to look for anything else.

Or why not use your teaching to allow you time to plan a new career e.g take some new qualifications or chase that job you always said you would love. Remember if you want something seriously enough then life has a funny way of getting it for you!

Finally
1,The trick in life is not to worry about making the wrong decision but to learn to correct.
2,It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere.

The best of Luck !

Finbarr

If you've been away for so long it can take a little while to get settled back into Ireland. You would have left when you are were quite young and and may remember quite a different Ireland. I would advise you to try and settle near family so you have support and friendship. With teaching qualifications i think you can really settle anywhere.

If you are looking at the growth areas Portlaoise might be a good bet for you. There are a number of schools being built at the moment, these are new buildings rather than new schools (and merged schools) but I am sure there will be jobs available. Send your CV into Laois VEC also there may be other jobs with them and also you could use your EFL experience in teaching evening classes to the many immigrants in Portlaoise. You should also get a better house for your money and commuting to friends and family in Dublin is fairly easy. I live in Portlaoise and am from Dublin (though still commuting to Dublin at present) and it's a grand town, shopping isn't great but Newbridge, Tullamore, Kilkenny and Carlow are all within easy reach and houses in Portlaoise are cheaper than any of those options. Best of luck.

Hi everyone
Haven't checked in in a while, so didn't get the new replies. Many, many thanks for the advice and encouragement.
Finbar: didn't mean to make myself out to be an oul fogey! Believe me, the confidence isn't an issue at all, and even manage to look a couple years younger than people think. But needed to know the reality of the situation back home, especially as there have been so many changes over the past 20 years. But I guess I do tend to forget that I have a huge amount of teaching work experience, that hopefully won't be overlooked. Don't worry about me underselling myself. These years abroad have taught me to Very well to stand up for myself.
Had also been thinking of Laois as its central and expanding, as was pointed out. Would love to take time out to settle myself, but have 2 primary age kids, and need to get them into a school and get the finances sorted, before I feel I can breathe a little easier.
Again, many thanks for the uplifting replies.
Marylou

This would be a good place to start so have a look where more schools will be needed soon, but remember where there is growth so will house prices grow, study the form here

Hi Mary Lou

Why not look at Abbeyleix I was really impressed with how great it looked and the new houses there looked really nice. There are also some restaurants there as well as some good pubs. Theres a lovely feel to the place.

Good Luck

Finbarr

Try loadzajobs.ie. This seems to be the webpage for the advertisements that schools post into the newspapers. For the cost of the ad. the paper prints in its morning paper, its evening edition and also online ( at this page afaik). I'm not so sure there is a big demand for teachers of German any more. Spanish seems to be the growing language in our secindary schools now given the numbers of Irish people buying properties in Spain. I guess even the wealthy need someone to order their chips for them!! In my area German has been discontinued in the local girls secondary and is not offered in the local boys school either. I think the presumption is that all Germans can speak English anyway so noone needs to make the effort to speak German. Good luck with the big move but make sure you go somewhere where there is a school for your children as that is also a big problem in parts of Ireland

Failte abhaile!
try www.publicjobs.ie for teaching posts, they usually have a good few posts. Try galway for living-its realxed and fun. how about getting a list of the contact details of all the schools in your desired county in which you want to work and applying directly to them? These lists DO exist but im not sure where you get them. Maybe Dept. of Education. It might be a good time now to look for teaching posts as the year ahead will be in the planning processes now in most schools.
Good luck agus failte aris.

To the most recent postings:
Many, many thanks. I appreciate all the advice so far, and the time you took to post it to this unknown creature! All advice ? suggestions are welcome.
Cheers
marylou

Back