Taxis in Cairo Airport

IrishGunner

Travelling to Cairo in Sept and looking to get taxi from Airport to hotel. Have done the usual checks and checked the airport [broken link removed]. Just looking for peoples input. Heading downtown and wondering are they rip of merchants or is there set fees to downtown or am I better organising a pick up at the airport as arriving on my own.Was browsing the tripadvisor and lonelyplant forums and came across a taxi firm called but mixed reviews and dont seem to be quick in coming back.

Any input welcome

Cairo Airport is a pretty hectic and chaotic place especially in the arrivals area and there are no shortage of rip off merchants around. Only real advice is to agree on a price before getting in the taxi. I haven't been there in a while but IIRC there are car hire/taxi desks in the arrival area where it is possible to arrange transport and might be a safer option. Also might be worth seeing of your hotel offers an airport transfer service. It will be more expensive but far less stressful. BTW all the taxis are ancient bangers so don't expect any luxury.

Thanks yeah it seems pretty chaotic airport. Hotel has no email address so cannot get in touch with them. Have looked at This crowd but their email aint working on their site. Still looking as dont want the hassle of picking one up when I arrive

Well, in my experience, especially if you're on a budget holiday, you can expect fawlty towers type service in your hotel, but don't worry too much about being ripped off by the taxi......even a ripped off price is still pittons as , unless things have changed, their currency is really weak against ours. The taxis themselves are death traps - really old bangers and they drive like complete lunatics......! But all of the above experiences you should not complain about, just make up your mind to enjoy it all, it's Egypt for you :)

Thanks so the best bit is to land and then barter with the drivers a the rank. Searching and when you land in Cairo you get accosted by everyone offering taxis downtown, Been around so many airports where this happens. Got quoted €50 for a taxi downtown which I thought was a bit steep. Not going to get the bus Not sure what to do wait till I land or have something booked ?

Barter when you get there , and ask a few different taxis for prices , whatever they quote you offer half of it and probably meet half-way. Dont be afraid to walk away ,if they want your custom they will come running after you. And ,as others have said ..... enjoy the experience!!

Back