Taxi drivers = largest grouping of 'workers' in Dublin ?

J

Joe Maxi

Heard recently that taxi drivers seemed to be over-represented in the 'ranks' of men going for a vasectomy.

This started me thinking.

Then I thought that with over 10,000 plates in Dublin and presumably a factor greater than 1 for the number of drivers per taxi, there are probably 15,000-25,000 taxi drivers in Dublin.

Can anyone else think of an industry segment which might have this number of employees or workers in and around Dublin ? Perhaps retail, but I would guess there aren't many other segments.

Joe

workers

civil service? There has to be a few thousand of them.

On a related note, there may not be that many 'larger' companies out there, when my brother in law worked for Dell, they found there were only two (maybe three) venues in Dublin where they could hold their Xmas party, as it was hard to find a large venue...

AAM's getting into the Christmas spirit early...

If Dell are holding a Christmas party,would it not be more on-character for them to cut out the middlemen they're always going on about and just go straight to Bethlehem for the function?

And, of course, the party wouldn't quite work out so the guests would have to ring a premium-rate number to some outsourced location where the operators don't really understand what a Christmas party is.....

Re: AAM's getting into the Christmas spirit early...

Taxi drivers are self-employed businessmen, not 'workers'. Although they do whinge and moan like the bastard lovechild of ISME and SIPTU!!

Back