Taxi Drivers and the new fare structure

kramer2006

The "Irish Economy" thread is in danger of being hijakced by disgruntled taxi passengers (i.e. me) so I'll start a new thread. I think this deserves a thread of it's own anyway.

Now, I don't want to tar all taxi drivers in Dublin with the same brush, but I growing weary of arguing with these guys when I step into a cab.

I'm frequently overcharged. Just last week I was assured that the new fare structure allowed the driver to add a 1 EURO. He seemed like a nice guy so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I later learned this charge is nonsense, the 1 EURO is charged for "additional" passengers.

Some other examples I've experienced:

- being unnecessarily charged for baggage (a Dunnes Stores carrier bag, yes this actually happened to myself and Mrs Kramer. Needless to say, we got out of the taxi when we saw this charge being applied.

- I have frequently been charged the "airport charge" after flagging a taxi in town to go TO the airport. I have since learned this is not allowed.

- I have often been taken by taxi drivers on the "scenic route", particularly en route to the airport. (Ever notice the first question from a taxi driver is "what time is your flight at?". I suspect this is because they want to know if they can take you on the scenic route. They want to fleece you, but they wouldn't want you to miss your flight. They're good lads like that. :rolleyes: )

- Mrs Kramer was overcharged by a taxi driver last week and when she asked for a receipt, she was told he didn't have a roll for the machine. What a written receipt? Nope, none of those either. Unfortunately, she didn't get the cab number or registration.

- Another ripoff is the generally poor condition of taxis in this country. What must tourists think? Taxis frequently smell of vomit (and occasionally the drivers BO!)

I know there are good, honest drivers around, maybe even the majority of them. But in my experience, there's a lot of con-merchants about.

"Why don't you complain when you've been ripped off?" Good question. I have heard stories about people trying to complain of taxi ripoffs and apparently you have to show up at the Carriage Office in person. Don't know if this is true or not. I think the Carriage Office is in the Dublin Castle grounds.

Sorry if this is veering into "Letting Off Steam" territory, but it makes me sick to see these guys striking and complaining. Does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share? Has anyone any experience in complaining to the Carriage Office?

I was almost charged for a handbank about 6 months ago. I complained and he removed the charge, but not without an argument.

This thread prompted me to have a look at the new fare structure.
[broken link removed]it is for reference

"Why don't you complain when you've been ripped off?" Good question. I have heard stories about people trying to complain of taxi ripoffs and apparently you have to show up at the Carriage Office in person. Don't know if this is true or not. I think the Carriage Office is in the Dublin Castle grounds.

Sorry if this is veering into "Letting Off Steam" territory, but it makes me sick to see these guys striking and complaining. Does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share? Has anyone any experience in complaining to the Carriage Office?

its the regulator you complain to now, not the carriage office i believe.

Just last week I was assured that the new fare structure allowed the driver to add a 1 EURO.
By the driver? Don't taxis carry detailed information about the new fare structure and what is and is not allowed? You should not have had to depend on the driver for advice. See here and [broken link removed].
He seemed like a nice guy so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I later learned this charge is nonsense, the 1 EURO is charged for "additional" passengers.
In future ask for a receipt which they are obliged to provide and if there is any problem contact the [broken link removed]. If they refuse then insist on a writte one and take the taxi number. If necessary stand your ground.
Some other examples I've experienced:
If these happened since the new fare regulations came in then you should contact the Taxi Regulator with your receipt to make a complaint.
The Taxi Regulator and not the Carriage Office deal with these issues now - see the links above.

Post crossed with previous ones.

Bacchus, thank you for posting that link. Sets out the fare structure very clearly, but I fear there will still be many taxi drivers who are prepared to argue these charges.

A short summary of the charges are:

- Initial Charge: 3:80 (standard rate), 4.10 (premium rate, charged at unsocial hours)
- Booking charge: 2 EURO
- Additional Passenger: 1 EURO (for 2nd and additional passengers only)
- No luggage charges allowed
- No airport charge allowed
- "A taxi receipt printed by the printer attached to the meter (not handwritten) must be given to all customers"

From the same website:

If you wish to make a complaint to the Commission for Taxi Regulation in relation to a SPSV operator, you must put your complaint in writing. A complaint form is available here, or from the National SPSV Consumer Information line on 1890 60 60 90 The complaint form must be completed, providing all relevant details regarding the incident and also enclosing a copy of any receipt obtained for the journey in question. The Commission must have sufficient evidence to identify the person or vehicle that is the subject of a complaint.

But, what happens if the driver refuses to give you a receipt? You haven't a leg to stand on it seems.

Bacchus, thank you for posting that link. Sets out the fare structure very clearly, but I fear there will still be many taxi drivers who are prepared to argue these charges.
They can't because they must display the fare structure in the vehicle for passengers to refer to.
But, what happens if the driver refuses to give you a receipt? You haven't a leg to stand on it seems.
You insist and if that doesn't work then take their number (prominently displayed on the roof sign) and complain to the regulator.

By the driver? Don't taxis carry detailed information about the new fare structure and what is and is not allowed?

Yes they do, but the laminated charge information is often out of date. The same way many drivers still haven't got their meters adjusted to handle the new fare structure. A lot of them rely on this to create confusion and add extra charges. I have seen this on numerous occasions.

In future ask for a receipt which they are obliged to provide .... If they refuse then insist on a writte one and take the taxi number. If necessary stand your ground.

Easier said than done, as I have said above, the driver refused to supply Mrs Kramer with a receipt when requested. Mrs Kramer was not about to stand her ground at 10pm in a taxi being driven by a shaved gorilla.

Yes they do, but the laminated charge information is often out of date.
Not under the new regulations. See the site that I linked several times above.
The same way many drivers still haven't got their meters adjusted to handle the new fare structure.
Isn't there some grace/transition period during which this is allowed?
Easier said than done, as I have said above, the driver refused to supply Mrs Kramer with a receipt when requested.
She should have taken the number and complained so.

Under the PSV regulation amendment in 2000 it is obligatory for all taxi meters to produce a printed, not written, receipt. All passengers should get one, if not request it and take down the yellow licence plate number and report to Carriage Office if you are refused one. They can be prosecuted for refusing to issue a printed receipt.

tinkerbell - I thought that was the case alright. A few years back I remember hearing about it and getting printed receipts from taxi drivers all the time, but then over time it seemed to drop off a bit and some times I would get a hand written receipt and sometimes none at all (until I demanded one). I reckon some of the drivers decided that they would revert to their pre-2000 regulation ways.

I seem to recall that even with the printed receipts the extras weren't detailed out - there would be a lump amount for €4.50 or whatever rather than listing the items.

z

Regardless of what might have happened in the past [broken link removed]:
Customer Rights

As a customer, it is your right to:
  • Not be charged more than the metered fare when travelling by taxi or no more than the agreed fare.
  • Not be charged more than the agreed fare when travelling by hackney or limousine;
  • Be given a printed receipt at the end of a taxi journey, and a written receipt on payment of the fare for a hackney or limousine journey;
[broken link removed]
Making a Complaint about a Taxi Fare

In the event of a dispute about a fare, driver conduct, condition or cleanliness of a vehicle, a customer should pay the fare displayed on the meter including extras, ensure they get a printed receipt and proceed to make a formal complaint which will be investigated by the Commission for Taxi Regulation as appropriate.

If you wish to make a formal complaint, please request a complaint form by ringing the National SPSV Consumer Information line on 1890 60 60 90 or [broken link removed]

A few years back I remember hearing about it and getting printed receipts from taxi drivers all the time, but then over time it seemed to drop off a bit and some times I would get a hand written receipt and sometimes none at all

Something tells me this is more to do with the driver's tax liabilities than anything. That damned paper trail! :rolleyes:

Anybody else notice the stickers are mostly in Irish - I take it the Driver will have to translate for the Customer?

See my post in Letting Off Steam. Seemingly the stickers are bilingual with (it seems) Irish facing outwards and English facing inwards.

Back