taxation on foreign income

jmsm

hi i wonder can anyone help please

my husband has a second income from work he does at home for a german company - it amounts to approximately 8000 per annum he gets paid by money transfer to his current account. He pays tax on this in Germany at 13% and gets a tax cert for this every year.

We had thought all this was ok but now someone is saying that we need to to a tax return here also and may have to pay further tax

Does any one know anything about this

Thanks

yes, if your husband is resident in Ireland he must register with the tax office as a self assessed individual which means he will have to submit an income tax return in Ire in Oct every year (that he has this foreign income). He will get a credit for the German tax paid against any Irish tax liabilty so depending on what his Irish & German tax amounts to he may not actually have an Irish tax bill (even though if hes only paying 13% German tax its likley he will have an Irish liability) but not having an Irish tax liability does not discharge him from being obliged to actually having to register as self assessed and submit a return. I would advise ringing your local tax office.

Back