Taxation of a staying at home mum working a few hours a week

Puesyo

Hi

I am a staying at home mum and I am not currently working. I am thinking of offering my services as a teacher to non-educational institutions for a few hours a week. My husband is using my tax credits at the moment, meaning that we are taxed as a married couple and at the moment I have no income. If I start doing these classes, as I undertand it, I can invoice the institutions and work on a "consultancy basis" or i can go on PAYE with them. Anybody know, which would be more advantageous for me, or would it be the same? Would I have to pay the higher rate of tax, because my husband is using my credits (part of my husband's salary already falls into the higher rate of tax)? I know I can earn up to 10,000 euros a year tax free, so is this only if I work for myself like childminding or something? What are the conditions for this 10K/year?
Thanks in advance for your help. Perhaps somebody can direct me to an institution that can give me better information, or a website.

If you are treated as a paye worker, you can get the paye credit, and earn up 8,800 for 2007 before paying any tax. This will not affect your husbands situation as he cannot claim your paye credit. You may lose the home carers credit of 770 if your income exceeds 6.5 k approx. If your income remains under 5k approx you can keep the full home carers credit if you originally qualified for it.

Back