tax

moc

hi could anyone tell me have been out of work since oct paid all the usual tax am i entitled to claim tax back ?

If you have been paying tax through PAYE you should be due a rebate. You will need to file an annual return. You may also need to file returns for previous years. this can be done through Revenue on Line

Normally when you become unemployed you should file a [broken link removed] with Revenue in case you are due tax back while unemployed. If you never did this then write to Revenue (or do it online) and ask them for a P21 balancing statement for 2006 which should result in a refund of some tax being issued. They may need certain details in order to do this. If I was writing to them I would include a copy of my P45, copies of payslips for 2006 and details of any Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance or other welfare payments received (e.g. the SW payslip if necessary). This may be overkill but at least erring on the side of caution and giving them more rather than less detail should help expedite your claim.

I had this scenario myself before, i was laid off my job , was one month ont he dole and applied for a tax refund for that year i had paid tax.
I got 6 months tax back first and then had to be on the dole for another month before i could apply for the other 6 months of the previous tax year

So once you have been an employee i think you can claim it back

I got 6 months tax back first and then had to be on the dole for another month before i could apply for the other 6 months of the previous tax year
That doesn't make sense. If you hit the end of the tax year and have unused credits that offset tax deducted to date then just asking for a P21 balancing statement should yield the refund immediately.

I am just looking over the P50 now myself. There is a part of it that asks you are you planning on moving abroad and if so are you planning on working there.

Has anyone any idea what effect the different answers to these questions can have?

if you are not immediately planning on moving abroad then just do as Clubman said, get Revenue to issue a P21 Balancing Statement. Any refund cheque will go to the address Revenue have on file for you. Even if you are planning to move abroad that part of the P50 is only relevant if the refund claim is for the current tax year. You are looking at a back year, i.e 2006 so you just need to file the 2006 details.

Back