Tax Treatment of Landlords has to be Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really bizarre that he doesn't know this. He is the Housing minister looking at tweaking tax on rental income and not only does he get it sideways its a pretty useless enticement.

I think that is what he means - it is 12.5% of the cost over 8 years currently, he'll move it to 100% in the year you incur the expenditure. T.Gibney is correct, though, that is not what he said. This doesn't exactly inspire confidence - the housing minister doesn't understand a key part of the rental tax system

Bizarre, talking convincingly like he knows what he's on about but displays the most fundamental lack of knowledge on a matter he claims to be looking to tweak the tax on.

No wonder its all gone to pot.

Bizarre, talking convincingly like he knows what he's on about but displays the most fundamental lack of knowledge on a matter he claims to be looking to tweak the tax on.

No wonder its all gone to pot.
Yes, this is the equivalent of Simon Harris' 19 other coronaviruses!

It is no wonder things are so bad if this is the level of understanding the Minister is displaying. It is also no wonder that he keeps applying Threshold's and Sinn Fein's 'solutions' to the rental market. He may not have the intellectual capacity to come up with feasible solutions himself

if he wanted to deal with the rental crisis, two things. speed up evicting bad and non-paying tenants, and reduce the tax take on landlords or at least seek to level up the playing field. There's one think he doesn't need to do, and that is meddling with changes and threats to landlords. It's counter productive and saps all confidence and investment in the sector.

They cannot attract new investment into the sector despite record rents (why, he should ask?!) and they cannot retain existing investment in the sector (again, he should ask why?!)

if he wanted to deal with the rental crisis, two things. speed up evicting bad and non-paying tenants, and reduce the tax take on landlords or at least seek to level up the playing field. There's one think he doesn't need to do, and that is meddling with changes and threats to landlords. It's counter productive and saps all confidence and investment in the sector.

They cannot attract new investment into the sector despite record rents (why, he should ask?!) and they cannot retain existing investment in the sector (again, he should ask why?!)
Yes, a landlord who is planning on leaving due to over regulation, threats of future adverse changes etc. is not going to change his or her mind because of the ability to write off a €400 washing machine in one year as opposed to eight years. Likewise, no one is going to be lured into investing in residential property because of this tax 'break'. It is more tinkering around the edges.

Why are they so reluctant to actually bite the bullet and listen to landlords?

The three main issues for me is tax, inability to evict non paying tenants and the rpz while simultaneously expecting me to invest without a corresponding return.

On the basis of advice from my accountant (CIMA) I have been writing such costs off in year one, accountant said its too messy tracking a washing machine over 8 years and I agreed with him.

Politicians chase votes, landlords don't speak up in big enough numbers or through effective lobby groups.
Fair enough but surely they are not that stupid to realise if they improved the rental supply (or a min kept it stable) it would win them some votes?

Fair enough but surely they are not that stupid to realise if they improved the rental supply (or a min kept it stable) it would win them some votes?
The challenge is how to increase supply at a scale that would be noticed. They have no easy answers to that right now.

The challenge is how to increase supply at a scale that would be noticed. They have no easy answers to that right now.
They have.

Build, build, build.

But they're scared of doing that as they'd be criticised for it.

They have.

Build, build, build.

But they're scared of doing that as they'd be criticised for it.
That indeed is the solution, I just doubt the incumbent government (or any near term viable alternative) have the capacity to deliver in meaningful numbers even if they had the will.

That indeed is the solution, I just doubt the incumbent government (or any near term viable alternative) have the capacity to deliver in meaningful numbers even if they had the will.
Governments can never deliver housing in meaningful numbers. All they can do is get out of the way of the private sector.
But I'm told I perhaps best avoid commenting on same

There are two challenges one is as you correctly reference is to increase supply the other which is easier to achieve is stop the loss of existing supply.

Darragh O'Brien now saying that being a small landlord is a very expensive business. That is a bit of a turn round. Previously, it was the most lucrative business ever - money for jam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back