Tax Treatment of Landlords has to be Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a house up for sale, rent was €900 as we did not increase the rent as we were one of the reasonable landlords. House next door rents now for €2500.
Equivelant house?

And you rent it at a discount of 64%?

Not for those who had zero rights of tenure, unreturned deposits, repairs not done etc.

Property ownership and letting is a business; regulation in a well run society is to be welcomed as benefiting all.
You make it sound like every tenant who ever rented had their deposit ripped off by scheming Fagin-like Landlords and nothing worked in the property which is a nonsence.

Same rubbish landlords and tenants are still in play today as their equivalent were 20/30 /50 years ago the only difference is Govt have regulated LLs out if the market.

Not for those who had zero rights of tenure, unreturned deposits, repairs not done etc.
They could move somewhere else if they were truly stuck. Now they can't move anywhere.
Property ownership and letting is a business; regulation in a well run society is to be welcomed as benefiting all.
By that yardstick, renting in Ireland in the past decade has been a nirvana, and tenants and landlords alike must be over the moon.

Equivelant house?

And you rent it at a discount of 64%?
Yes. Tenants on rent allowance and If we increase each year they would be over the rental limits. As I said allowance was halved in recession and we were already on the back foot. We did not increase as other landlords did. rpz came in then drop in increase. Few years we did not increase the rent so before we put the house up for sale it could increase to 1250 but they would be out on the street.

You make it sound like every tenant who ever rented had their deposit ripped off by scheming Fagin-like Landlords and nothing worked in the property which is a nonsence.

Same rubbish landlords and tenants are still in play today as their equivalent were 20/30 /50 years ago the only difference is Govt have regulated LLs out if the market.
Back in my old days, I rented for 8 years with 5 different LL, with no problem, and I would imagine a lot of tenants did too.
I have no issue with regulation per se, it is part of every society. It's the constant changes and uncertainty that are an issue and every regulation is not necessarily a good regulation. RPZ have had very negative consequences for both LL and renters.
To be honest, I empathize with tenants today that have received an eviction notice and who for the past 4 months must have followed the political debates and media coverage hoping to have some breathing space. They might even have thought they got it yesterday around 8 pm.

You're just not making sense.

There are posts here suggesting that the absence of any regulation was the best thing since sliced bread.

It wasn't.

But when that is pointed out; somehow @Knuttell makes the leap that every property owner was an explotative wretch.

All businesses are regulated.

Restaurants have to abide by standards, we none of us want E.Coli when we eat out.

Insurance companies are regulated, we want them to abide by the contract we take out.

Regulations are beneficial.

I'm on the record in regards to my opinion on what our current government are doing and the lack of joined up thinking.

Having said that I'm in favour of standards, I'm in favour of professionalism, I'm in favour of quality regulation that benefits society.

Even landlords who had an intention to stay are now very seriously reconsidering. There is absolutely no joined up thinking....the decision not to extend the ban was driven primarily by fears cuckoo funds would sell up if they continued the ban.

Small tradional landlords are seen as inconvenient and inconsequential by FF/FG/Greens.

A reset is needed, reintroduce bedsits, strip back all regs and relaunch RTB with competent leadership and critically train the staff properly, any time I have asked questions I am surprised by how little they know or worse how convincingly they reply with laughably incorrect answers.
But the memo brought by Minister O’Brien did not outline any incentives for landlords and only said he will work with government colleagues to “develop a meaningful Budget 2024 package for the rental sector including both landlords and tenants”.
Incredible that they announced the end of the ban but with zero incentives lined up to retain existing landlords....it speaks of utter incompetence, there is no one driving the bus, the minister for housing is at the back looking out the window and wondering when the driver will arrive at the last stop.

Eviction ban lifted to halt flight of the cuckoo funds from market

Last edited:
There are posts here suggesting that the absence of any regulation was the best thing since sliced bread.

It wasn't.
I fully agree. A lot of the tenant protections introduced since 2016 (in particular notice periods) are welcome. Likewise I think some degree of rent control for sitting tenants is a good thing. Tenants should be protected from double-digit annual increases but landlords should be entitled to see a rent return to market level after a reasonable period of four or five years.

The problem is that there has been no commensurate increase in landlords' rights. In particular the process for dealing with a non-paying or destructive tenant are as bad as ever.

Incredible that they announced the end of the ban but with zero incentives lined up to retain existing landlords....it speaks of utter incompetence
Eviction ban lifted to halt flight of the cuckoo funds from market

The minister clearly gets that the ban impacts in the medium to long term on investment, yet he doesn't seem to get that that publicly flip-flopping on housing regulation leads to massive uncertainty and this has an equally damaging effect on investment.

We have prolonged uncertainty in the Irish rental market around regulation, and it is carried out in the public arena. The government should have outlined a plan for the rental sector and stuck to it, the need for a public debate on policy and constant revision to regulation is driven by the lack of a credible government policy and plan in the first place, one that is reasonable and defensible doesn't need to be constantly revised and updated. This just leads to massive uncertainty and a lack of confidence. We are going to pay for this uncertainty one way or another in higher premiums and less investment.

It's disappointing that all of our political parties have joined in what is a public fight for votes, instead of prioritising what is in the long term economic interests of the country. The eviction ban has been shown to be a terrible idea, it has solved nothing and has come at a cost to investment at a time when the country desperately needs investment in housing.

As I said previously, all that for nothing! No clear plans, no announcement, no certainty... There has been a full winter of discussion over this in the media and the political scene. In the past 4 months, the debate on this issue has just become a circus!

In practical terms, I have a part 4 tenancy that will roll over to an indefinite duration lease next year and my current plan is to issue notice to end just after the rollover date to avoid starting a new lease of indefinite duration because I have no interest in being a landlord under the terms that are on offer and for all the usual reasons around future selling under rent controls, possible introduction of selling with tenants in situe etc. wiping out my investment.

Anything announced in the next budget will come too late for me (and presumably many others) because I will have to issue notice to vacate 6 months in advance of the rollover, which is before the budget.

Seems to me that the only plan has been to try to stall people getting out until it becomes the next governments problem?

There's nothing in the govenrment plans that will increase supply of housing - be it social, privately owned or rented

All they are doing is trying to move the chairs around - what they should be doing is building more chairs or, at least, providing incentives for someone to build more chairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back