Tax take reduction - what to cut?

Lobby

In light of the yesterdays finance figures showing massive tax take reductions, and assuming this trend continues, what would be the likely casualties of a major decrease in Gov finances?

For example, which of the numerous agencies established during the "good" years would be closed / reduced - in people's opinion?

(My wife used to work for one of them and she is saying the Gov would not dare close any at all, my point is if funds are tight then these are the most politically easy to cut)

Equality Authority
National Consumer Agency
The entire Dept of Community Rural & Gaeltacht Affairs
Half the Dept of Agriculture

I had considered the Road Safety Authority but the public reaction might not be good, (isn't the Dept of Transport supposed to be doing that job anyway?)

Why half the Dept of Agriculture?

What I have in mind are the legions of civil servants who in the past 5 years or so have made careers for themselves as farm inspectors, simply to justify the continued payment of subsidies to farmers. Waste following waste.

Ah, we are now reaping the consequences of a massive boom in civil service recruitment, when the only problem facing successive budgets was how to spend all the lovely dosh the government was taking from us.

Of course, we'll now find that getting rid of all those benchmarked civil servants ain't quite as easy as hiring them in the first place.

Firstly, we should cut the Dail down to say 99. Lead by example Biffo!

Don't worry, if wages are reduced in the private sector the next round of benchmarking will result in comparable cuts in the public sector.:rolleyes:

Don't worry, if wages are reduced in the private sector the next round of benchmarking will result in comparable cuts in the public sector.:rolleyes:

I think we'll have a better chance of seeing a paperless toilet.

I would say the government will say that because they could not get the money out of us via taxes they can't give us what we promised, bummer.

I would say the government will say that because they could not get the money out of us via taxes they can't give us what we promised, bummer.
You can't spend what you don't have. It's that simple.

No, but you can spend what someone else has......
:D

We have spent the last ten years borrowing money on international markets (through our banks) to buy stuff and paying a proportion of that in tax to the government so in a way all we have done in privatise the national debt.
Jasus, I sound like David McWilliams; I better shut up!

What I have in mind are the legions of civil servants who in the past 5 years or so have made careers for themselves as farm inspectors, simply to justify the continued payment of subsidies to farmers. Waste following waste.

a friend of mine works with the dept of agriculture.frequently drives to drogheda to pick up veterinary medicines for use locally. total waste of time and money. dept of agriculture obviously never heard of couriers.

having said that it does look finance minister is starting to take a tougher line with the likes of HSE. Obviously a lot of the highly paid executives in the HSE thought they were exempt from balancing the books.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we'll have a better chance of seeing a paperless toilet.

I dont get it - I am assuming you mean toilet paper - I have see loads of paperless toilets in the case. They were mainly public toilets I have to admit but sometimes Mrs Teabag fails to replenish the stocks - not pretty at home but worse in public !!

It can't axe the equality authority when some push the responsibility onto others....:D

......sometimes Mrs Teabag fails to replenish the stocks......!!

Back to topic;
...........Maybe Bertie will arrange for a "Dig-out".....

...or, maybe he'll help us all out by paying the gift tax due on his own dig-outs!!:rolleyes:

I dont get it - I am assuming you mean toilet paper - I have see loads of paperless toilets in the case. They were mainly public toilets I have to admit but sometimes Mrs Teabag fails to replenish the stocks - not pretty at home but worse in public !!
Why is her job to replace toilet paper in public toilets? :confused:

Back