Tax Return

noel123ie

Hi

My mother is terminally ill and I am trying to spend as much time as I can with her in her last days

I have done none of my tax return but can make an online filing so that gives me a few more days.

If I do not get books done in time am I better making some return or calling or mailing revenue and sending in as soon as I can?

Thanks
Noel

you have until 16/11/09 to file and pay on line.

After this the first surcharge is 5% of tax.

If cant get done by 16/11/09 ring that day and explain situation and look for one to two weeks more.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. As PV has outlined, you have until 16 November if the return is submitted online. You have two options - to submit the return based on draft figures or to make contact with Revenue prior to the submission deadline and explain the situation. The key thing is to get to speak to a specific individual in the income tax section of your Revenue district, get their name and direct line as your point of contact, explain the situation and get them to agree to waive any late filing surcharge which may arise.

Surcharges can be and are waived in cases where the taxpayer has not been able to file due to serious unforseen or extenuating circumstances. You would certainly come within those circumstances. If you cannot file by the due date then file as soon as you can after. Once the assessment issues as mentioned contact Revenue in your district and the surcharge will be waived. If you have any difficulty with them on this post again or PM me and I may be able to help.

Back