Tax return by third party - looks incorrect what to do?

dubdub123

Hi
Im PAYE and few years back I hired one of those tax companies to complete my tax returns.
I send them all the info for 2016, late in 2020 and all that seems in order, received refund and all ok.

I also sent them salary slips for other years (2017 to 2019) and planned to align with them on other documents.

Between one stressful thing and another, i never followed up but then they contacted me to say they'd gotten refund for those years. They didnt contact me in advance to confirm what to submit.

This was few months back and Im only looking now and there seems to be issues

- For each year from 2017 thru to 2019, there is a flat rate deduction of 219 euro. Ive no idea what this is for but it matches the amount for an "overall" on a list of flat rate expenses from revenue. I dont have anything like this.

- there doesnt appear to be any claims for GP etc, but medical insurance relief is shown.

- there was no claim for WFH expenses in 2019..

How should I move forward? I never cashed the cheques the sent for these years as they had been sent to an old address.

Should I contact revenue directly? Should I ask this company questions first?

I am going to apply for incapacitated child tax relief and want to ensure that everything is sorted.

Any guidance appreciated@

Firstly, 2016 and 2017 are past the 4-year time limit so you can do nothing about those.

Before you apply for anything, check whether that tax company is still on file with revenue as your tax agents and whether their bank account is attached to your revenue account. If they're not doing anything for you anymore, make sure that their details are removed or your refunds will go to their bank account and they'll look to take a cut of the refund.

€219 on the list of flat rate expenses matches "Engineering Industry [and Electrical Industry from 1997/98] All unskilled workers and skilled or semi-skilled workers who do not bear the full cost of own tools and overalls". If that matches your job, there's no problem.

You can add medical expenses for each year from 2018 onwards when you're doing the incapacitated child credit. Same with work from home expenses.

Before you apply for anything, check whether that tax company is still on file with revenue as your tax agents and whether their bank account is attached to your revenue account. If they're not doing anything for you anymore, make sure that their details are removed or your refunds will go to their bank account and they'll look to take a cut of the refund.
Never, ever engage with an accountant or similar firm who suggests or insists that your tax refunds are paid into their bank account.

Firstly, 2016 and 2017 are past the 4-year time limit so you can do nothing about those.

€219 on the list of flat rate expenses matches "Engineering Industry [and Electrical Industry from 1997/98] All unskilled workers and skilled or semi-skilled workers who do not bear the full cost of own tools and overalls". If that matches your job, there's no problem.

You can add medical expenses for each year from 2018 onwards when you're doing the incapacitated child credit. Same with work from home expenses.

I logged in earlier this week to remove them as agent. Thought i did it a long time back but must not have. I'll double check bank details, but i think that I updated it as well.

I dont purchase tools or overalls for my job. I have worked in engineering/IT in professional role. Not sure why this was thrown in. They never asked me about this, but its in there for each year.

Should i flag that with revenue?
How on earth can a company submit tax returns without checking with me.

Never, ever engage with an accountant or similar firm who suggests or insists that your tax refunds are paid into their bank account.
Serious lesson learned. Years back i hired someone but i knew any tax returns would be small so just went with this option.

Looks like the particular company has changed name along the way as well.

Should I lodge cheques they sent? I think one is out of date as it went to qrong address following house move.

Im actually so annoyed about this as anytime ive submitted taxes, i ensured every item was in order. I want to know claim for incapacitated child credit.

Serious lesson learned. Years back i hired someone but i knew any tax returns would be small so just went with this option.

Looks like the particular company has changed name along the way as well.
I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about it, my point was more that the business model of a firm banking its clients' tax refunds is an obvious fraud risk and even if done 100% properly, leaves all the aces in the hands of the firm, not the taxpayer.
Should I lodge cheques they sent? I think one is out of date as it went to qrong address following house move.
No harm in trying. The bank might charge you a few quid if it bounces but it probably won't.

Should i bother flagging this flat rate allowance with revenue or judt submit other stuff now (medical expenses, WFH , incapacitated child credit)?

Im dreading trying to figure out 2020 as well

Back