Tax Relief - Tuition Fees paid in GBP

rpg

I am completing claim form IT31 at the moment to claim tax relief on my fees paid during my course. I decided to return to university in 2010 and I have now graduated this year.

However, I studied in the UK (London) and all fees were paid in GBP. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact EUR equivalent as I transferred lump sums from € to £, paid off the tuition fees and used remainder for living expenses. The form explicitly states € so I don't want to cross it out and put £, so instead I've used the current exchange rate (€1/£0.79) to calculate the equivalent and rounded the figures to the nearest whole €.

Do you think this is acceptable? I have found no information on fees paid in another currency, despite my course being accepted as it's accredited/approved in another EU member state - and I would say a large % of Irish studying in the EU, would study in the UK anyway. Or do you think I should request receipts for the 4 years from my university, and let the revenue do the conversion? It states receipts don't need to accompany the form, but need to be retained for 6 years (of course).

Thanks for reading - maybe someone here has been in a similar situation, so appreciate any information.

Revenue use the Average Market Mid Closing Exchange Rates, 2010 to 2013 can be found at this link: [broken link removed]

Revenue use the Average Market Mid Closing Exchange Rates, 2010 to 2013 can be found at this link:

Thank you Daenis, I hadn't seen that browsing the revenue's site. I can now work it out for each year of fees and provide the correct € amount on the form. I'll also know the exact amount to expect from the rebate.

Back