Tax relief on Stamp Duty /sale through executor

M

MaryLoo

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I entitled to the tax relief for stamp duty, when the sale is being handled by the executor? I see the reply davidoco re the tax relief if its been sold by siblings and in this case it is. I have been told I am not entitled to this because it is being handled by the executor.

thank you

Are you buying ( in your sole name) a property from an estate in which your siblings are the sole beneficiaries of the property? Is the executor not a sibling?

If so you could ask if the executor would actually convey the property into your siblings names and then they sell to you to avail of the stamp duty relief.

thanks for the reply Vanilla,

Yes the house will be in my sole name, yes the siblings are the sole beneficiaries of the property.
No the executor is not a sibling, the solicitor is the executor.

So ask the solicitor to convey the property into the beneficiaries names and then they can transfer to you- or if you are one of the beneficiaries you can all do a deed of family arrangement. Now there will be a cost element to this so you should determine what that is first and then decide if, based on the stamp duty saving, it is worth it to you.

Back