Tax Relief on Private Pension

C

cnm

From next month I will be paying into my own personal pension fund. What Revenue form do I need to complete to claim tax relief. Do I only complete the Revenue form after the end of the tax year.

There may be a specific form but I would (and have done) simply write to Revenue and include a copy of the Retirement Annuity Contract or PRSA1 certificate and explain to them what regular and/or lump sum contributions you have made or will be making. Then they should grant you relief through your tax credits. You don't have to wait until the tax year ends if you will be making regular contributions as they will grant the relief in advance through your tax credits. Obviously if your circumstances change (e.g. you change the amount that you contribute) then you will need to let them know so that they can adjust your credits again. If you suspect that you did not receive relief at any stage then at the end of the tax year write to them including a copy of your P60 and any other relevant documentation and ask them to prepare a P21 balancing statement.

You will also need to claim PRSI relief separately:

Claiming PRSI relief on standalone PRSA contribution

Don't forget that you can backdate relief to the previous tax year if applicable:

October 31 - what does it mean for PAYE worker?

Does that make sense to you?

Back