Tax relief on domestic service charges

irishguy

Myself and my girlfriend pay €1,000 service charge in our apartment, are we both entitled to claim tax relief on this? Or is the tax relief just for waste services?

Have never heard of tax relief on service charges.
The tax relief is on refuse charges

But our refuse charges are paid through the service charges (i.e. i dont pay for refuse collection directly). So would I not be entitled to claim for this?

Myself and my girlfriend pay €1,000 service charge in our apartment, are we both entitled to claim tax relief on this? Or is the tax relief just for waste services?

Ask for a breakdown of the refuse element of the service charge and then claim relief on the amount for the prior year (e.g. when submitting your 2008 income tax return you include the 2007 refuse charge figure). It'll be small, but better in your pocket than Revenue's!

Ask for a breakdown of the refuse element of the service charge and then claim relief on the amount for the prior year (e.g. when submitting your 2008 income tax return you include the 2007 refuse charge figure). It'll be small, but better in your pocket than Revenue's!

Thats a good idea, ill do that.

Yes...you can go back 4 years. Remember, with refuse charges you're claiming for the prior year (e.g. in your 2008 return you claim for 2007's charges).

Back